Advice on Replacing Fan and Adding a Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairfieldfalconsfan

In Runtime
BEWARE! This is going to be long!

Question #1: BTW all pictures can be viewed larger by clicking on them

Ok so I have an old basic case with only 1 fan that is in the normal location on the back of the
case. I want to replace it with a fan that has blue LEDs in it and is relatively quiet. I have no idea
what size fan it is or the RPMs/CFMs. Here is a picture of the fan with a measurement:
fan measurement 2 by Fairfield Falcons Fan, on Flickr

And yes I did clean the fan after I measured it.

As far as connecting for power I don't have any more 3-pin connections on my MB but do have these (not sure what they are for):

4 pin connectors by Fairfield Falcons Fan, on Flickr

I have been using this for the back fan but I am not sure if it would power the LEDs with just the
2 wires or if they are for controllers? BTW this connects to a Molex connector.

fan connector by Fairfield Falcons Fan, on Flickr

I would prefer to buy through Newegg but anywhere cheaper is good. I just want it to be quiet but still move a good amount of air.

Question #2:
I was thinking about adding a fan to the front of my case but I am not sure I can. It has a bracket:
fan bracket 4 by Fairfield Falcons Fan, on Flickr

Inside the bracket looks like this:
bracket measurements 2 by Fairfield Falcons Fan, on Flickr

The corners have attachments like this in opposite corners:
fan bracket 33 by Fairfield Falcons Fan, on Flickr

And
fan bracket 22 by Fairfield Falcons Fan, on Flickr

I may try taking the fan off the back again and just seeing if it will fit in the front bracket. I would also like this fan to have blue LEDs if I can put one there. I was looking at the fan here: 120mm & 140mm LED Computer Cooling Fans . I don't know how much a fan should cost or anything.

Thanks for reading this long post and if you need any more info I'll try to provide it if possible.

EDIT: I checked and the fan on the back is too big to go in the front bracket. Hope this helps.

the fan you measured is an 80mm fan. If you want the fan to be quiet and have blue lights then you will be sacrificing a bit of airflow.
I think that this would be the best bet.
Newegg.com - APEVIA CF4SL-UBL-LED 80mm Blue LED Case Fan

Are you sure that the fan you showed earlier wont fit into that plastic enclosure?
The inside of it is around 80mm, the fan you showed should fit, it may have to snap in.\

Edit:
If you don't mind a bit of wiring and you have an extra expansion slot, then the following fan would be a good choice too.
Newegg.com - Rosewill RFX-80BL 80mm 2 Ball Bearing Blue LED Case Fan with Fan Controller Set

If it will affect the airflow a lot it doesn't have to be too quiet but I don't want a jet engine either. I do want the LEDs in it though.

I can try to put the fan in the front bracket again and see if I can make it fit. I may get the normal one for the back and the one with the controller for the front bracket if think I can make it fit.

Ok so I pulled a fan from an old PSU that I had and it fit in the bracket. I just have to find a way to keep it in there and to power it. I had to just yank the wires off the PSU board. I may still buy the new one for the back or I may just use some old LED lights I got out of the dumpster at work to light up my case. Amazing what people will throw away sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom