Too Good to be True?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klope3

Baseband Member
Amazon.com: Acer AS7552G-5430 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black): Computer & Accessories

This would be a pretty good laptop for games. According to NoteBookCheck, its GPU has even been seen to run Dirt2 and Crysis at "High" settings.

I know the processor (2.1 GHz) could be better, but assuming I won't be expecting thel laptop to be a whiz at physics simulations, does this seem like a good machine for gaming, Photoshop use, and video editing? I can't find any considerable deficiencies in it, but considering that the majority of laptops on Amazon have awful graphics (on the order of integrated Intel HD), the $700 price here seemed almost too good to be true...

It seems like a pretty decent computer regarding specs. But the screen is quite big, being ~17.3" and all. But if that's what you prefer, then it's okay. You may want to take a look at some of the deals they have at Newegg before considering your purchase.

from what i've been able to quickly read about the 6650 it seems that it will run the latest games at medium graphics not high depending on how demanding they are and i'm not that sure on graphic loads of either of those 2 games

Thanks for reminding me of NewEgg--some really great deals there.

Need some opinions - is the AMD Phenom II Quad-Core N970(2.2GHz) or the Intel Core i5 480M(2.66GHz) more desirable for gaming?

Doesn't processor make a big difference, too? I was under the impression that GPU = rendering, RAM = loading speed/frequency, and processor = in-game calculations like physics. So if a game is really physics-intensive, with lots of calculations occuring every second (such as in destructable environments), won't a faster processor significantly improve performance? I've played games at good framerates that immediately drop to being unplayable when lots of collisions occur in-game...

when it comes to gaming GPU is what mainly determines your FPS rate and what level of graphics you can play at and after that the general cpu speed has an affect but it is not as much of an affect as the GPU

I'm really narrowing my options now, so please be patient with my requests for comparisons...

Which laptop do you think would play games like Crysis more fluently? This one:

Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS5742G-6600 Notebook Intel Core i5 480M(2.66GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M w/ NVIDIA Optimus

or this one:

Amazon.com: Acer AS7552G-5430 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black): Computer & Accessories

The AS5742G-6600 runs with a slightly better graphics card and a smaller screen resolution. I would think that this machine would run better than that of the 5430. However, the 5430 has the advantage of a triple-core processor, but I don't think that's going to make a huge difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom