hard drive acess is stupid slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
i dont know how else to describe it besides beeing painfully slow.
all my hard drives are 7200rpm relatively new( bought within last 2 years.
and system drive is the 10000rpm WD drive that i owned for some years.

i have upgraded the system 3 times and reinstalled windows as many times and more.

the only 2 things that are left from original build is the raptor drive and video card.

its grinding away with the most annoying sound, for hours and hours.
worse than my wife.

even when i unplug the internet cable,
i have disabled the task scheduler, and indexing service,theres no antivirus scanners running in the background. or spyware.

it just keeps acessing the fn drive for some reason

or most of the time its just **** slow. and grinding for like 5-10 seconds every time i open a window.

its giving me all kinds of troubles with this crap.
for example, the last webcam recording is 2-3 days of blank space when it should have been my parking lot( security cam)

i dont really know what else to check for its been the only major issue with this pc so far is the hard drive acess.
am i not configuring something right in bios maybe?

and also i dont feel any difference in acess times compared to my secondary drives, isnt 10000 supposed to be faster?

when i posted this mesage it was again grindign away for about 5-10 seconds.

Easy big guy, listen when was the last time that hdd was cleaned out or checked for any hdd issues ?
Since you owned them both for 2 years if I read correctly, you still have a warranty in place if it's not refurbished.
My first suggestion to you is you download western digitals diagnostic tool, and see what the heck is going with it.
If the tool says it found any major issues with tempature or giving you estimated date for failure.
I would personally back up what I could and contact western digitals tech-support for failing drives.
They will check your model number to make sure it is still enabled for service, if it is please send it back to them promptly.
Usually they are very fast with sending you a new one and having it back at your home with 4 days.

But for now follow my advice and tell us what you get so far.

every month or so i do a spyware check.virus check.
and about every 2-3 months i run disk error check and defrag,

i only use the system drive for windows and programs and some files in my docs.
everything else is on secondary drives.

i think i did check it once or twice with WD tools but it didnt find anything, since i bought it it was pretty **** loud. and hella annoyng at night. crunching away at something unknown for hours...

That definitely isn't normal for sure. But it seems that the CPU is making a lot of requests to the hard drive. Prescott P4's are notorious for outrageous temperatures, partially due to a lot of requests. Similar to how the first generation Celerons were, Oh, I can still hear the long and everlasting grinds from those things. Seeing that you've installed Windows a few times with no better results I would run a program known as HDD Regenerator, it does cost a good penny but it worth it in the long run, especially seeing you have multiple drives. In my experience, Regenerator has actually picked up bad sectors when the tools didn't, it was weird. I would also check your RAID settings if you have the drives set in RAID. Hope I've Helped!

so yesterday it started munching away again about 20 minutes after i went to bed and it continued for about 30 minutes.
i turned the monitor on and there was absolutely nothing going on on the screen.

i tried to close the internet explorer and it would not stop grinding or close the IE.

finally i just flipped the power switch because i was about to throw this box out in the parking lot.

this is the video of what i have to listen to every night. and its mostly the raptor drive acessing some ****.
the other ones are much quieter.

and btw i upgraded the cpu as well to quad core q8400 2.66ghz but havent noticed much increase in speed.

It might be trying to access a Sector it thinks it needs to boot.

1. If you can boot into "Safe Mode" that will not access exactly all the same Sectors and you might get it to boot, failing that use your original Operating System Disks and boot from them.
2. Run "chkdsk c: /x /v" (fastest) from the cmd Prompt.
3. Run "chkdsk c: /r /x /v" (slow!) from the cmd Prompt if #2 does not fix things and there are still errors.

so heres another thing that been happening for a while
it started with my original configuration.
i replaced in specific order:
power supply
reinstalled windows again, over and over again
upgraded motherboard CPU and memory.
the only things left from my original config are: video card, seagate system drive and cd rom.

but it had no effect on this incomplete startup issue.

heres the video
im thinking its related to the annoyingly slow system drive

it literally takes 5 minutes to load a page when i start IE first time after sitting for few hours.
it will open a blank page and i listen to screeching sound for next 5 minutes.i get ****ed and punch the fn PC that usually shakes it up and it stops whatever the f it was doing and gives me the webpage. once i sat there patiently with stopwatch and it went on for over 10 minutes of half loaded internet explorer

heres the video i just made today
whats happening is:
i power down and it keeps trying to restart but cant.
the only way for it to start properly is for me to flip the switch on the PSU for about 10 seconds and flip it back and then start it.

I have seen this several times... your hard drive is failing. It usually starts with your hdd making a loud clicking sound and then it will have issues booting. Flipping the switch on the PSU can temp fix the issue, but it will keep coming back. Replacing the hdd is the only thing you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom