Thoughts on this $1450 gaming rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoxton

Beta member
How well will this rig preform on 2009 and later games (MMOs, FPS)? Monitor resolution 1366x768, running Windows 7 Home Premium 64x
Chassis: Antec Dark Fleet DF-30 Midi Tower
Harddrive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 8GB
Power Supply: Corsair TX V2 850W PSU
Video card: Radeon HD 6950 2GB
Processor: Intel i5-2500K
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 EVO B3
Burner: Samsung SH-B123L Blu-Ray

Should be able to run MMOs and everything else very well. Guessing that you should upgrade the CPU to an i7 if possible.

Why should I go i7? I'm not going to crossfire. I won't really use the extra cream that the i7 gives me, I think.
What's your justification for i7?

Just for the extra juice if you wanted it, I'm guessing. I'm not an expert but it seems as though most are recommending the i7, unless it is out of your budget range.

Well most games that are out right now won't even utilize all four cores of the i5, so the i7 is not really necessary. I have a friend who has a i7 in his laptop and I never see the extra four cores go above 0% usage and he's played multiple games and used programs like photoshop.

the i7 is just an i5 at a higher clock and with hyper threading. it really isn't faster when clocked the same unless you're running programs that can utilize the 8 cores. build looks good to me.

The i7 is not really a worthwhile upgrade for gaming. I have the 2600k, but I use my rig for more than just gaming. It does do a very well job though, even when not overclocked, I can run Soundbooth CS5, Photoshop CS5, Traktor Pro, and Premiere Pro, all well playing New Vegas, with overall CPU usage only at 13%. Not that I ever really do this, that's too much multitasking for me :p

How well will this rig preform on 2009 and later games (MMOs, FPS)? Monitor resolution 1366x768, running Windows 7 Home Premium 64x
Chassis: Antec Dark Fleet DF-30 Midi Tower
Harddrive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 8GB
Power Supply: Corsair TX V2 850W PSU
Video card: Radeon HD 6950 2GB
Processor: Intel i5-2500K
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 EVO B3
Burner: Samsung SH-B123L Blu-Ray

My total for the components came out to $1175 on newegg, you may want to buy from there.
If you don't need to burn or watch blu ray movies on your computer, then I would drop the blu ray drive and get a DVD burner.
Also, if you are going to be overclocking, you will want an aftermarket heat sink. If you are no going to be overclocking then you can save a bit of money on a cheaper motherboard.
Last, that video card may be a bit overkill for that resolution. I play at 1440 X 900 on my 6850 and so far, I have been able to get constant 60FPS on Extreme settings in SC2.
I know that SC2 isn't the most demanding game, but Extreme settings are known to choke the FPS.

Yeah, atm, it is overkill. Why not future proof it though? Games will become more demanding and what if he wants to get a higher res monitor later?

Yeah, atm, it is overkill. Why not future proof it though? Games will become more demanding and what if he wants to get a higher res monitor later?

Buying things that you may need in the future tends to waste money as opposed to saving it. If you buy what you know you need, then you often get the best value.
The cheapest 6950 is $250, the cheapest 6850 is $150. Hoxton would be better off buying another video card later with the extra $100, unless he plans to upgrade his monitor soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom