New Gaming Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crown_Royal

Solid State Member
Hey all, looking to build me a new computer mostly for gaming. Here is what I was looking at, let me know what you think or if you would change anything. I already have a video card gtx 560 ti, and a monitor/keyboard/mouse etc. I will not need an optical drive either, don't really have any plans to ever overclock or go SLI. Here is the list:

Case: Newegg.com - Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan
CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130571
Ram: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
HDD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
PSU: Newegg.com - Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V V2.2 Intel Core i7 Compliant Dual 80mm Fans Full Cable Sleevings Power Supply

The PSU I just need a replacement for my old rig as my other PSU recently went out so I purchased a 750 thermaltake toughpower.

Let me know what you think or if there are things you would change. I'm trying to keep this around $700 so the wife will stay happy.

Hah, I didn't even catch that mistake, sorry I updated the link for the Mobo. It's a MSI P67A though.

are you planning to overclock the i5 2500k? if so you are going to need a decent CPU cooler and i personally think that it may be better to get a bit better PSU, i'd suggest something like Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply as i believe that is a decent PSU and especially as a PSU is one of the most important parts in your computer as having a dodgy one will mean that your comp won't run to its full potential

The thermaltake 750 is in my current computer as i needed a new psu because the one i had died. Knowing i was going to be doing a new build soon i went ahead and purchased a cpu for my new build. The psu ill be buying will be going into my old machine a q6600 and 8800gt card.

I dont have plans to overclock right now and if i decide to ill get an aftermarket cpu cooler at that time.

Mostly curious about the Motherboard and if the PSU is decent enough to power my old computer with out any troubles. Also some feedback on the ram would be great, seems like a good deal for 8gb.

So, if I have this correct, the 430W will go into your old computer, and the 750 will be in your new one?

430W should have no problem with that machine. Anandtech reviewed that card and it took only 209W on full load for the entire system with that video card.

The ram is just fine

Yes thats correct the 430w will go into my old machine. With that mobo will it have decent overclocking ability if i decide to go that route in the future?

i think that mobo will be good for overclocking but personally i'd prefer to spend an extra 100 or so to upgrade to a stronger mobo if you are going to overclock as it is much better just to be abit safer espicially when your already spending a fari bit of money.
Also have you though about changing the ram to 1600 mhz instead of 1333 as it is a bit faster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom