Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodyMercy

Baseband Member
Let's start with the specs:
P5LP-LE motherboard w/ Pentium D processor running Windows 7 32-bit
GeForce 9500GT 1GB video card
2 GB RAM PC2 6400 @ 800MHz (1 card/1 DIMM, I have 3 remaining DIMMs

The only original parts are the hubs/peripherals and the motherboard/processor. Originally purchased from HP as a customizable, I couldn't tell you what was in it before. I had a "experienced" PC tech who regularly serviced my needs.

Recently(last 2 days) IE9 has started to (Not Responding) with simple tasks. Start menu and other general functions were also slow to respond. First thought was a virus, I rebooted in safe mode where AVG 9.0 found 2 corrupted .exe, they were removed/vaulted; Malwarebyte's found nothing. I rebooted only to have the same issues, at this point I restored to a point 2 days earlier, which did almost no good. After reboot the PC reacted normally to commands for about 1-2 minutes. At this point I removed the case and found excessive amounts of "crud" blocking up the heat sink above the processer beneath the fan. I carefully removed the debris (power was off), upon reboot Windows started up into the Startup Repair. I rebooted (hard key off) after it said I had to restore, and windows booted normally. The PC seemed to be fine for about five minutes at which point it bogged down again.

So at this point I am wondering is there a virus my programs have missed? Or did I cook the processor with the crud build-up? I understand all hardware has it's limitations in regard to performance and age, this machine is coming on 6 years old minus the video, ram, and HDD. What do you folks think?

-edit: Removed and reapplied thermal paste on processor about 5-6 mos. ago w/ Artic Silver.

More RAM?

I have a P5PL-LE motherboard which has 4 slots, recommendations say only 4GB ram. An "experienced" tech installed a OCZ 2048MB PC2 6400 @ 800 MHz. He said my other DIMM slots were "loose" and couldn't take more memory. Could this be due to the fact that the motherboard specs only recommend a PC2 5300 @ 667MHz at the max? Or can DIMMs really be loose? Ultimately how much more speed would be obtained by running 4GB vs. 2GB? Or are my limitations already reached w/ the Pentium D processor? I run Windows 7 32-bit.

I think your RAM is limiting you. 2Gb in Windows 7 is near minimum. Try getting some more RAM in that.

Also, when your computer gets slow, bring up Task Manager, and look at the processes tab. See what is taking up all the RAM and/or CPU loads.

Regarding the RAM I posted in the upgrade section, it has it's own set of "issues." Would you refer there or do you want me to fill you in here?

On a side note, I've been running W7 for about 3 months now without any of these issues. Does that change anything?

Re: More RAM?

As I said in your other thread, yes, you need more RAM.

What do you mean they were "loose"?

With your system, it's limit being 667Mhz, your 800Mhz is being clocked down to 667.

4GB will give Windows 7 more room to start programs faster.

The tech told me the slots were loose and wouldn't register any more memory, could this have been a way to snag a free 2GB? It's definitely not top of the line memory, but I guess you never know what people will do these days... Like I said there are 3 more slots available, but supposedly the MB can only handle 4 GB, is that in the architecture or just a design recommendation?

An iTunes update and the IE9 download, but neither were all that recent. I guess silverlight installed most recently, which by nature runs in the background, I guess I'll start there. Thank you much for your tips and patience Mindover...

That tech must be pretty novice. All memory is basically the same thing these days, just depends upon the timings, speed, and the eyecandy.

It is by the memory controller's limit. It's limit is 4GB. It can run up to 667Mhz. You can have 4 x 1GB or 2 x 2GB or 2 X 2GB + 1GB (only it wont be in dual channel)

So ultimately I need to track down a pair to my exisiting set? Or will any 2GB dual channel suffice? I don't know that Iowuld be able to purchase this style anymore...I really should build new I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom