Best video card for ~180 USD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ended up ordering the MSI Cyclone 6850. Can't wait until it arrives :smile:
Newegg reviews do not make a product good or bad. Read professional reviews.

He knows what he is looking at.
Let us know if it is better than this 6850:

PowerColor HD6850 1GB GDDR5 Single Slot
show_img.asp

3dmark0615856.jpg

@4P_Bulldozer
We will have to see. It depends on what you consider better. Faster? Quieter? Cooler? More overclocking headroom?
Downloading 3DMark06 right now. I will post the settings at pre-overclocked, and at overclocked settings.

Here is overclocked settings. I expected more of an increase in score for some reason.
3DMark06_benchmark_Overclocked.jpg

Here is overclocked settings. I expected more of an increase in score for some reason.
My $50 "NVidia GTS 250" gets 8122 and 8341 so it could be worse. :suprised:

The one I posted is not overclocked. They run that Card at 'reference' since it is the new single-slot style.

Those are nice results on the Factory "OC" and that is with Warranty so you can run it like that all the time!

Stock gets 15856 (on the other 6850) at reference clocks so at 17212 (Factory overclock) you are doing pretty good.

Since you could only squeeze another 220 out of it I guess that either the Factory does as much as they feel safe doing and there is not much left for you or you have another couple of days worth of fiddling to wring out the last little bit. If you pushed it and couldn't get much more then they are sending those out with lots of extra oomph, really nice.

My Stock Clocks are:
Engine Clock 675Mhz
Memory Clock 2000Mhz
Shader Clock 1620MHz

My OC Clocks are:
Engine Clock 675Mhz
Memory Clock 2300Mhz
Shader Clock 1875MHz
That is as much as I can push mine without crap on the screen or sudden BSOD. :(

Remember to download the NEWest Drivers from AMD since that is bound to get you a little boost over what is provided on the CDROM that comes with the Card. Be gentle on the RAM so you can push the Shader as that is where the Score will come from. Try Google to see what other people are using and start from there.

Let us know after a week (or less) if you get some more out of it. The Factory likely just OC's every Card the same way since it would take over 5 minutes per Card to actually test each and every one properly.

My $50 "NVidia GTS 250" gets 8122 and 8341 so it could be worse. :suprised:

The one I posted is not overclocked. They run that Card at 'reference' since it is the new single-slot style.

Those are nice results on the Factory "OC" and that is with Warranty so you can run it like that all the time!

Stock gets 15856 (on the other 6850) at reference clocks so at 17212 (Factory overclock) you are doing pretty good.

Since you could only squeeze another 220 out of it I guess that either the Factory does as much as they feel safe doing and there is not much left for you or you have another couple of days worth of fiddling to wring out the last little bit. If you pushed it and couldn't get much more then they are sending those out with lots of extra oomph, really nice.

My Stock Clocks are:
Engine Clock 675Mhz
Memory Clock 2000Mhz
Shader Clock 1620MHz

My OC Clocks are:
Engine Clock 675Mhz
Memory Clock 2300Mhz
Shader Clock 1875MHz
That is as much as I can push mine without crap on the screen or sudden BSOD. :(

Remember to download the NEWest Drivers from AMD since that is bound to get you a little boost over what is provided on the CDROM that comes with the Card. Be gentle on the RAM so you can push the Shader as that is where the Score will come from. Try Google to see what other people are using and start from there.

Let us know after a week (or less) if you get some more out of it. The Factory likely just OC's every Card the same way since it would take over 5 minutes per Card to actually test each and every one properly.

That single slot card looks nice, what are the temps on it?
On those clocks you posted, those are of a 6850?
I thought ATI never supported shader clocks, only Nvidia?
On the past 3 ATI/AMD cards I have had, shader has been grayed out.

Currently using drivers from March 2011, the ones released for April have caused me a few problems.
Also, I havent pushed the card as far as I can yet, I haven't had much time. I'm currently running stock OC.

That single slot card looks nice, what are the temps on it?
I grabbed the Pic from here: PowerColor HD6850 single slot - [H]ard|Forum, it seems it is so new that there are very few Reviews yet, so no guesses or facts to pass along (other than that it uses 8mm Heatpipes, runs at 95W, some Brands use one power connector, it does 4-way and Furmark says 71' max.).

What is really great is that this marks the coming of single-Slot Cards where we had two-Slotters before (for the lower powered Cards maybe higher powered ones also, in a year or three).

That will allow you to slip half-height Cards in between or just pack em together as some people do now.

If you strip them, water cool them, pack them and use hacked Drivers you could get several in a Case - great for folding.

On those clocks you posted, those are of a 6850?
Yes, of the single-Slot. See Thread above.

I thought ATI never supported shader clocks, only Nvidia?
On the past 3 ATI/AMD cards I have had, shader has been grayed out.
AMD links the Shaders to the "Core Clock" but NV has them separated.

Currently using drivers from March 2011, the ones released for April have caused me a few problems.
You could test the Beta if it's out, sometimes new Drivers will give you 1-2% on a particular Game and sometimes over 15%.

Also, I havent pushed the card as far as I can yet, I haven't had much time. I'm currently running stock OC.
It's great that they send them out that fast! Tweaking and testing for yourself does take a day or two to ensure you got the last bit out of it and that nothing you are gonna run crashes.

Enjoy yr Toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom