Best video card for ~180 USD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhOsT1321

Daemon Poster
Hello, I have been looking at video cards for a bit and have decided on MSI Cyclone 6850.
I am considering this card because:
It's in my price range (180 USD)
It's cooler has been compared to other brands and appears to be cooler
The fan is quieter than other brands.
The video card is the newer 6xxx series meaning less heat. My computer is in my room, I prefer the video card to put out less heat.
The last reason, it's on sale with a rebate and also comes with 3DMark11.

Considering those things, is there any better buy for approximately 180 USD?
I prefer ATI/AMD, but is there is a lot more value in Nvidia, I will consider it.
Specs in sig, my resolution is 1440 X 900.

I just may order it in a few days. I'm gonna call newegg and make sure that the video card still comes with 3DMark11. Sometimes, companies never update their pictures of items.

I'd personally do this option. $140 for the Sapphire card, and then $30 for 3DMark11, and you're still saving $10. You get more power, although, not a huge difference.

I was considering that aswell, however I just found out that the 6850 that I linked comes with Shogun 2 (40$ value).

Hello, I have been looking at video cards for a bit and have decided on MSI Cyclone 6850. I am considering this card because:
It's in my price range (180 USD)
It's cooler has been compared to other brands and appears to be cooler
The fan is quieter than other brands.
The last reason, it's on sale with a rebate and also comes with 3DMark11.

Lots of choices and lots of ways to make them...

The Card you chose has ONE Review and is Rated 4 Star (on NewEgg, where you wish to shop) but the PowerColor AX6850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131374 (a couple of choices down, depending on how you 'sorted' it) has 61 Reviews and is 5 Star. PowerColor sells more Cards than MSI.

Your choice is on sale and the PowerColor AX6850 is not (but it is less than $180). There can be a lot of reasons why one is on sale and the other is not but fewer reasons for the differences in number of reviews.

There are lots of ways to read Reviews also, try this. Save your time and ONLY read the "Cons" for the PowerColor AX6850, one of them is that "it won't order pizza" and another is that "it takes two slots", most of the rest are "none".

I'm not saying that MSI is BAD but a different one (if you want to stick with AMD) for MORE money would be better, so I won't suggest it.

Sorting for "Best" (based on Reviews) is MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127510 it is less than $180, not on sale and from MSI, if you prefer the Company. It has 264 Reviews and is Rated 5 Star. It is also "OC" which you might like. It is the highest rated at ANY Price of ALL the Cards (on NewEgg, not that that is a deciding factor).

Personally I like Zotac because they are on sale from time to time and overclock well. I got a DTS 250 for $50 (a year ago) and today it is 2 TIMES more expensive! (at NewEgg) (used to be 4 times more).

Wait, shop around, compare and wait again. When you NEED one, then make your purchase; don't wait for the "Perfect Card at the Perfect Price" (you will wait forever).

So for what you said, and buying today, I suggest what I said (the N460OC).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom