Yet another newbie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk

Baseband Member
I'm sure you all get questions like this all the time, and I hope one more isn't too much of an annoyance. This just looked like a good informative forum, which I'm in need of. I've been thinking of how cool it would be to build my own PC and started shopping around. Here's one bunch of parts I've put together:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ / 512KB Cache / 400MHz FSB / Socket A / Barton Core / Processor

Chaintech SKT600 VIA Socket A Motherboard / AGP 8X/4X / Audio / 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA

Speeze / Socket A/370 / AMD Athlon up to XP 3200+ / Ball Bearing / Copper Core / CPU Cooling Fan

Mad Dog Dominator / 12x4x12x DVD+RW / 8x4x12x DVD-RW / 40x24x40x CD-RW / Dual / Nero Software / DVD Burner

Western Digital / 80GB / 7200 / ATA-100 / EIDE Hard Drive

Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory 2 Pack (1024MB Total)

PowerColor Radeon 9250 / 128MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / DVI / TV Out / Video Card

Inland Thundersound 5.1 Channel PCI Sound Card

Just4PC 747 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Front USB and 425Watt Power Supply - Black

Aerocool X-Blaster 80mm Cooling Fan with Dual Ball Bearing - 4000RPM

Diablo 3 in 1 Black Keyboard / Mouse / Speakers Combo

I'd really appreciate some thoughts on these bits and how they might or might not go together, whether there are better parts to use instead, or if I'm forgetting something. I'm basically trying this out for the experience of building a computer, and all I'm after is a good, solid PC that could run games decently and also be used for general image work, internet and word processing. Also, are there any good, easy-to-follow books out there to guide a person through the build?

One more thing, if I have a Windows system restore disc from another computer, can I use that to install Windows on another machine? Or do I just have to buy Windows again?

Thanks for reading all this!

ok, it looks mostly good but just at a glance you may want more case fans, and a better graphix card... also if you are interested in learning to overclock, then i would suggest going for an xp-m 2400+ it has a legacy of being overclockable up to 2.9 ghz at the moment. and as for your restore disc that is a gamble, obviously in most cases using it is illegal, but as for technically working then sometimes they make discs that wont work in any system not built by them(dell, gateway, anyone)... however ive had 1 set of gateway discs work for me in the past.

everyone will prolly tell you to go for faster harddrive...

Welcome to the forums and thanks for posting in the correct section. Most of your components look good but if you plan on playing the latest games such as doom 3, cs:s you're definatly gonna want to put some more money on your video card. Concerning the windows disc, you have to have a unique cd key for each computer, so no you cant use that disc. If you could link us to each component so i can see the details it would help a lot as well too.

Thanks for your quick replies! I feel pretty good knowing I at least got stuff to match up okay (so far).

Here are some links to it all:

CPU
CPU fan
Motherboard
Optical Drive
Hard Drive
Memory
Video Card
Sound Card
Case (w/ Power Supply)
Case fan

I was thinking of getting two of the fans, I think the case says it can take two... I really don't think I want to get into overclocking just *yet*. I was surprised by the relatively low prices on both HHD's and graphics cards, so I could probably go a little more for them. This would basically be built to replace a 2001 1.1Ghz Gateway computer, so all I really want is for it to be better, and a better value than if I paid the same (around $700-$800) for a retail computer. Mostly I play games on console so I'm not too concerned with turning it into a gaming machine.

About Windows, so I would have to buy the whole program? I noticed OEM versions are less. What would be the difference, and could I use that disc on more than one computer?

what i would do if i were you would be to go and try that disc in another comp, and see if it works, if so then voila you got free windows which kicks ass... if you are not concerned about gaming at all then keep that graphix card you had before, and dont worry about any faster harddrive IMO, also to save money dont buy a sound card cause your mobo has onboard audio. also can you salvage anything else from your old system? some case fans prolly, and maybe an extra harddrive to give you just a little more storage. and a cd drive to back up your DVD burner, its always a good idea to have extra drives.

Huh, I never even thought of using parts from the ol' Gateway! D'oh! I do have an old HP in the attic that died on me, and I thought I might try hooking up its old hard drive just to get all what I lost back. The fans in the Gateway are silly loud and on all the time to boot, but if I can at least get a replacement up and running then I'll see what I can forage out of there. The CD drive is a definite possibility.

Whoa! That is very cool and huge, but a *tad* out of my first-experimental-build price range!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom