Hard drive crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybersspot.com

Baseband Member
I am trying to recover data off this dieing hd. It's an XP machine and my customer needs her tax data off it. This is what I've observed. When I booted it in it's original case, it told me it had missing or corrupt file.

So I was thought to my self, ok, windows is corrupt. I removed the drive, hooked it up to an external drive reader and I could see the drive, I opened up E: (the dead drive), opened documents and settings and I could see the 5 users, but anything I click on from there that I click on, it tells me that I need to format this drive.

I then started getdataback for ntfs being an original xp coa on there and it's giving me error 23, which is no ntfs file system found. OK, I thought, maybe it was 98 upgraded to xp so I tried getdataback for fat32. I plugged the drive back in and it's not even showing up now.

There is no clunking or knocking from the drive, it spins up and sounds fine. Please shoot me some ideas.

Thanks,
Dave

Well, the drive came up again. I ran the downloaded free trial of getdataback for fat32 and it went through roughly 53% error free, now it's coming up with constant error 23.

being that I got more than half way through with the fat32 gdb, would it be safe to presume that this drive was formatted fat32 even though it has a xp coa on the case?

The Ubuntu Boot-CD is next on my todo list after gdb unless there would be reason to stop what I'm doing now.

I'm going to try Ubuntu Boot-CD next. I'm finding more and more, Linux programs seem to work much better for these applications.

2 questions:

fat32 or ntfs being gdb fat32 made more than 50% error free, do I presume it was formatted fat?

being that gdb has been getting constant errors for the last hour, what are the odds that it will recover and start moving again?

I have had great luck with using Ubuntu to recover files off of dying hard drives. I think that thats going to be your best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom