Solid State Member
Hi all,

I recently purchased a new system with the following specs:

AMD Phenom II x2 Black Edition CPU

8GB DDR3 RAM

Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Asus M4N68T-M Motherboard

Onboard GeForce 7025

500W Unbranded PSU (Soon being replaced with a Coolermaster GX 550W PSU so that I can actually power the GPU)

Well in the last few days my machine has been randomly switching itself off with no warning. Then it won't stat up for 5-10 minutes. When it does start up sometimes the safe mode options are displayed, sometimes the repair option, sometimes it just loads straight up.

Can anyone offer a cause for this problem?

Thanks in advance.

My guess would be that something is overheating and shutting down the computer. What are your CPU temps?
Also, that unbranded 500w PSU could be overheating as well, or simply failing altogether.
Edit: dang you MOM.

Thanks guys, those where my fears too.

At the moment my CPU is 32 degrees C, with each core at 20 degrees (according to Hardware monitor) My Mainboard temp is currently 29

It seems to be when the CPU reaches around 40 degrees that the problems begin.

I've only had the computer for 2 weeks so may call the supplier just to see what they say. But I think I'll wait for the new PSU and also buy two case fans as I have the spaces free at the back of the case.

Sounds as if your PSU is the culprit, when its getting to those temps your gonna have a load on the processor, which could be too much for the lower quality PSU.

I was looking around and saw a fan system that took up three of the 5.25 expansion bays at the front of the case.

Now my case has no cooling at the front, but I only have two expansion bays free. Does anyone know of any single bay cooling systems?

Single bay systems are almost pointless. Sometimes you can get lucky and find a single bay system that uses a blower fan instead of a traditional fan, they put out a decent amount of air, but not enough to truly help. What case do you have?

The only information on it is "Piano Black ATX" oh, and "excellent heat dissipation capabilities"....

It is all black with solid sides, front and top. It has 3 expansion bays on the front, one of which currently houses my DVD drive.

The only information on it is "Piano Black ATX" oh, and "excellent heat dissipation capabilities"....

It is all black with solid sides, front and top. It has 3 expansion bays on the front, one of which currently houses my DVD drive.

Is there a brand name anywhere?
Many computer cases use the term "piano black" and have 3 expansion bays. Is your computer custom or retail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom