New Build ( Suggestions Welcomed )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merovingian

Beta member
So I wanna build my new PC today ( I`ll start order some of the parts I`m missing ) and I am hoping to get some pro`s and con`s for the things I`ll put inside ( a second opinion is always great ). So here I go ..

Case : NZXT Phantom ( Black )
CPU Cooler : Cooler Master V8
PSU : EVGA Classified SR-2 ( 1200W )

MB : EVGA X58 Classified III
CPU : Intel i7 990x
RAM : Corsair Dominator GT with DHX Pro Connector and Airflow II Fan - 12GB Triple Channel DDR3
Primary HDD : 2x WD Velociraptor Black ( RAID 1 )
  • WD4500HLHX / SATA 6 Gb/s / 3.5 Inch / 10,000 rpm / 450 GB / 32 MB Buffer
Secondary HDD : 2x + 2x WD Caviar Black ( Raid 1 )
  • WD2002FAEX / SATA 6 Gb/s / 3.5 Inch / 7200 rpm / 2 TB / 64 MB Buffer
Graphic Card : 3x EVGA GeForce GTX 590 Classified ( 2x SLI and one to be used as PhysX Accelerator )
Optical Drive : 2x Sony BWU-500S ( Blu-Ray / DVD Writer )

I am not sure about the HDD`s and the RAM. Should I add more RAM ? I run Photoshop / 3D Studio MAX and Visual Studio on it. I will also run high end games so .. suggestions are welcomed. And could anyone suggest me a good 1080p LED monitor ? I was thinking to buy the LG W2486L ..

1) Use Sandy Bridge (i7 2600k), much better. That would also require another motherboard, probably Maximus IV Extreme.
2) Since Sandy Bridge is dual-channel, get 4x4gb if you need that much memory, or you could just get 2x4gb and upgrade later if you need more memory.
3) For the hard drives, I'd skip the velociraptors and get a SSD. The vertex 3 is wicked fast (500mb/s).
4) Can you ship these parts to my house? :)

The problem is that the EVGA parts are the ones that I already own ( they arrived this morning ) so .. to change the MB now is out of the question.

The problem is that the EVGA parts are the ones that I already own ( they arrived this morning ) so .. to change the MB now is out of the question.

Just a little tip for the future.
Before buying anything.. not just computer parts but anything at all that your not sure of.. make sure to do some research before splashing your cash out.

WOW .. thank you for the tip. What makes you think I did not do my research ? Because I did not choose the SandyBridge ? For what I need my rig to do the 990x is much better for me than the 2600K. The SandyBridge segment release is just a downgrade from an X58 system. But if you want to buy a mid-high end processor ( cheap ) that beats everything else in running 4 physical cores applications .. you can choose a 2600K. But remember your limitations .. 16 lanes of PCIe 2.0 and dual-channel DDR3. Is it worth it ?

WOW .. thank you for the tip. What makes you think I did not do my research ? Because I did not choose the SandyBridge ? For what I need my rig to do the 990x is much better for me than the 2600K. The SandyBridge segment release is just a downgrade from an X58 system. But if you want to buy a mid-high end processor ( cheap ) that beats everything else in running 4 physical cores applications .. you can choose a 2600K. But remember your limitations .. 16 lanes of PCIe 2.0 and dual-channel DDR3. Is it worth it ?

You may find this interesting.
Core i7-990X Extreme Edition vs. Core i7-2600K. Page 4 - X-bit labs
Here is a link comparing them once overclocked.
Core i7-990X Extreme Edition vs. Core i7-2600K. Page 9 - X-bit labs

i agree with what Nightfox suggested, go with an SSD if you're considering the Velociraptor as a primary and keep the secondary if you can.
the i7-990X should be fine with the GTX590 regardless of the semi-minor differences between the 2600k. the sandybridge MAY be superior, but it's all up to you. the 990X is a top end processor, one of the best on the market, the difference between the two shouldn't make much of a noticeable difference, especially with the gTX590.
You have enough RAM. 12GB is probably more than enough. for what you are doing with the computer.

Oh, I missed the monitor part. LG recently came out with a bunch of new monitors. I would definitely get this one Newegg.com - LG E2290V-SN Titanium Color 21.5" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 10,000,000:1. It's newer, thiner, has a much higher contrast ratio, and LG describes it as their best monitor...it seems like the huge price isn't an issue...although you may want to find a larger screen size.

based on his location, he lives in Greece. So that is not a viable link for him to purchase from, assuming that his location is true. Just saying.

Good Suggesion though, i might buy that in the near future since my monitor is outdated by 5 years atleast >_> xD

I am seeing a solid 5-13% increase in FPS in all of the games listed on non overclocked except Civ 5.
With overclocking, this becomes 10-17% gain with the exceptions of 4% gain in Mafia 2 and a 5% gain in Civ 5.
If Merovingian is only using this rig for gaming and not running CPU intensive programs that have to render media, then he is better off saving his money and going with the better gaming option, the Core i7-2600K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom