Windows wont allow me to access old HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dymond

Baseband Member
Hi there,
I have an old Seagate Barracude 120gb SATA HDD which had Windows XP installed on it from my old Dell 8300.
I just bought the CIT 35M4S Enclosure so I could recover all my files from the old hdd, however, I just plugged it in to my laptop, which runs Windows 7, and I get a window that pops up saying I need to format the hdd before I can use it... thus removing all my data which I definitely do not want!
How is it possible for me to access this data? I seem to be hitting nothing but problems :(

Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance, Jon.

Does it show up in Computer Management -> Disk Management?

Can't you connect it internally? Just hook it up to the inside of your computer.

Hey,
It shows up in disk management with file system RAW and it says 100% is free but i know this not to be true as it was my only hard drive on my previous computer running XP and contains alot of data.
Also im using a laptop now and am running it through an external enclosure via usb so I cant plug it in internally.

If it is RAW format then the file system tables are fried. You might be able to recover them but 99% of the time you end up formatting the drive and using recovery software like Recuva.

Just cause you used it in a old PC doesnt mean that when it was removed the drive didnt get shifted and the read head hit the platters. That can easily cause the file system tables to be lost. You dont know what happens internally to just say that it is not true. The only way would be is if you didnt not move the drive at all or have it get knocked around at all.

Sorry but if it says RAW, your outta luck. You maybe able to use a Linux LiveCD like Ubuntu, but as far as Windows is concerned you will have to format and recover.

everything you said above is exactly what i was hoping the case wouldnt be. Do you reckon I have any real chance formatting and then trying to recover??

You can format and then try to recover. But there is no guarantee that you will get back all of your files.

Sorry to be a pain but whats the best software you could recommend, other than Recuva?

I have a program called Zero Assumption Recovery that is VERY good a recovering files. I'm pretty sure you can D/L a trial version instead of buying. But you can try that first before formatting. But you will need the space on another drive to put all the files once the program tells you what is there to recover. I liked this program enough to buy it outright and have recovered about a dozen drives so far with a minimal lose of data (a corrupt file or 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom