Problem with Ram speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

_SomeOne_

In Runtime
I have a little problem.
I have 16GB ram @ 1600 mhz: Scan.co.uk: Corsair Memory Vengeance Blue 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel Desktop - CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
Motherboard: Scan.co.uk: Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3 Intel P67 Express Socket 1155 Motherboard - P8P67 PRO <Rev.3.0>

Ok so heres the problem im having:
The first time i installed my ram it showed it as 16gb @ 1333mhz.. i then changed them around and it showed as 16gb @ 1600mhz. (it didnt have any a or b on the ram so i didnt know which ram slot they went in)

I then reinstalled the OS and the ram has gone back down to 1333mhz though i havent swapped them around at all.

Does any one know why?

Thanks!

It sounds like your memory controller doesn't like running at 1600 MHz at the stock settings so the bios is resetting itself, 1333 is the default value. A 4GB module is more stressful on the memory controller than a 2GB module. With 8GB (2x4GB) your using 1 memory slot per memory channel, with 16GB (4x4GB) your using 2 memory slots per channel. 2 memory slots per channel is more stressful on the memory controller than 1 memory slot per channel. So basically your stressing the memory controller 3 ways. Your using all 4 slots, your using 4GB modules and your running at 1600 MHz instead of 1333 MHz

I suggest you go into the bios and manually set the speed and latencies, set the DRAM Voltage to 1.5v and change the VCCIO Voltage to 1.15v, if it still gives you problems try raising the VCCIO Voltage another notch higher but I would keep it below 1.2v

So what do you suggest? run at 1333 or 1600? I would rather have it at 1600mhz.. thats why i bought it.. but if its gonna harm my computer then i will leave it at 1333mhz.

I would try the settings I suggested. Download RealTemp and see what your temperatures are doing. Are you using the stock heatsink or did you buy an aftermarket heatsink? The increase in the VCCIO Voltage will cause the cpu to run a "little" hotter but nothing dramatic.

The Voltages are on the main Ai Tweaker page, scroll down. You also need to set the Memory Frequency to DDR3-1600MHz, this is also located on the main Ai Tweaker page

The latency setting are on the DRAM Timing Control page, at the top you'll see "Primary Timings", change them to 9-9-9-24-2T in that order.

The Voltages are on the main Ai Tweaker page, scroll down. You also need to set the Memory Frequency to DDR3-1600MHz, this is also located on the main Ai Tweaker page

The latency setting are on the DRAM Timing Control page, at the top you'll see "Primary Timings", change them to 9-9-9-24-2T in that order.

Alright, iv done the Primary Timings (i couldnt set the last one to 2T.. just 1 2 and 3.. i picked 2)
Iv done the voltages, DRAM and VCCIO.
But i cant find the Memory Frequency. Iv scrolled right to the bottom and cant see it. does it have a short name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom