Upgrade Question (Hardware) PLz help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tevans2057

Solid State Member
I am wondering what the weakest link is in my current PC ( I built it on my own). Right now I get good performance on Ultra settings, but still get some FPS drops here and there in SC2. I do also get some severe drops in Fallout New Vegas, and even in League of Legends i get FPS drops during some fights, which makes me wonder if something i have done is hideously wrong. (I run all games at 1080P Full settings).

Here is a list of my hardware!

Processor : Amd Phentom II x4 965 3.4GHZ (not overclocked)
RAM : 4GB DDR3 ~1600 speed
Video : Nvidia Geforce GTX 560TI (Manufactured by Gigabyte) 1gig DDR5 Video Memory
Mobo : MSI 870 G45
Power Supply : 500W
Hard Drive : Western Digital 1TB (32mb Cache, 7200RPM, SATA)

Any advice would be great, as I am looking to upgrade a component art of my PC.

Thank you all for your help!

Your Power Supply stands out since you fail to mention the Manufacturer.

And you'd really notice a difference with a SSD.

Well the power supply was bought from a Chinaman in a hole in the wall shop in my college town one day 3 years ago when my old power supply started smoking. I have no idea who the manufacturer is. Do you believe this could be causing a significant decrease in performance, I know a 500W meets all the min requirements for my components, but I am no computer whiz.

A good high quality power supply is necessary for a reliable, stable PC. Most components will run with less power than recommended, but they also perform slower than they should. And a good power supply will output a cleaner or a more stable voltage that promotes stability and performance.

Is it going to be a noticeable increase in performance? Probably not, but your computer/components will/should last longer.

Hrmm, I will probably upgrade it then, since that seems to be the consensus. Would it also be safe to presume that the set up I have should be able to run games like the Witcher 2 handily? So far i really dont have much to test or benchmark my stuff on. I can run crysis 2 at full easily, sc2 i get some fps drops in large battles, New Vegas i get massive drops inside the strip most noticeably with lighting effects (i think), and for some reason in league of legends i get FPS drops in large team fights. Any thoughts?

And thank you for all your input so far :)

ehh, I wouldn't worry too much about the League FPS issues, it seems to happen no matter what card you have, I think it might just be a slight glitch in the game engine.

!Bump! Anyone got anything else to add? I would really appreciate it, I don't want to blow a bunch of money on something until I am sure that is what I want to do. Advice on power supplies, or other avenues i may pursue? Any way i could check to see if my gear is performing the way it is supposed to with my current set up?

Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom