Alienware M17X R3 Bluescreen issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambulancedin

Beta member
Hey!
I've just purchased an Alienware M17X R3, and I'm having bluescreen issues under the error DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE through file ntoskrnl.exe. To add to my frustration I've just purchased this laptop for almost 2,000 dollars and when examining my dump files, I can see that the first dump from this error happened several days before they shipped it to me :madd:

When it first happened I naturally assumed there was a problem with my drivers or my bios, so I updated both with the latest updates available from the Dell support site.

Still having errors and they are becoming more frequent. Have tried to contact dell but they give you the runaround like nothing else and are starting to aggrivate me.

I have some technical knowledge but obviously not nearly enough to understand what my problem is here.
System Specs:
BIOS: InsydeH20 Version 1.0 A04
Processor: Intel Core i7-2630QM
6GB ram, running DX11
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 460M

I'm unable to attach my most recent dump file, they are all almost identical, I'm going to try to post it as the next post.

PLEASE HELP ME :sad:

==================================================
Dump File : 041911-15912-01.dmp
Crash Time : 4/19/2011 11:12:27 PM
Bug Check String : DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
Bug Check Code : 0x0000009f
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000003
Parameter 2 : fffffa80`08003a20
Parameter 3 : fffff800`043054d8
Parameter 4 : fffffa80`09875b00
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+66580
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7600.20826 (win7_ldr.101026-1502)
Processor : x64
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\041911-15912-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600
Dump File Size : 671,624
==================================================

You'll have to send it back, no matter how difficult they make it.
Still having errors and they are becoming more frequent. Have tried to contact dell but they give you the runaround like nothing else and are starting to aggrivate me.
That's why we always recommend against getting Alienware (and Dell to a lesser extent). They're low-quality, overpriced and their support is horrendous.

Yeah send it back. The item causing the BSoD (Blue Screen of Death) is the Windows Kernel. No way you can fix that. You have to send it back and get it replaced. They used a faulty part.

I've been on the phone with alienware support all day, basically they said I can send it back, they'll charge me another 2,000 bucks now to place an order for a new one, and then refund my current one when they get it. But if a tech looks at it and doesnt think there's damage to it they caused or shipping caused, they are charging me a 15% restocking fee. And its not like I have another 2k just laying around.

Then I got them to connect to my computer and they say oh its just your drivers, they turn off driver updates in windows update and restart my computer then say theres nothing wrong with it now and pretty much hang up.

I figure I might as well reinstall all my drivers since he reverted it back, I do that, and it bluescreens for the same reason while the computer is shutting down.

FML

Can a clean windows installation fix my problem?

WOW I knew their support was bad but that's ridiculous. Considering the amount of money involved here, if you keep a good enough record of the issues and events you could probably consider suing them.

However if you're not going to be able to get any support from them, I would indeed do a reformat and reinstall Windows, so long as that won't affect anything warranty-related.

WOW I knew their support was bad but that's ridiculous. Considering the amount of money involved here, if you keep a good enough record of the issues and events you could probably consider suing them.

However if you're not going to be able to get any support from them, I would indeed do a reformat and reinstall Windows, so long as that won't affect anything warranty-related.

Ya I would take Yami's advice but MAKE SURE it does not cause more problems relating to the warranty because that would give you no chance of getting it replaced because they would claim you did something whether you did or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom