Solid State Member
Hi there everyone, new member here.

I recently brought a new PC which arrived last week. My specs are:

AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition
Windows 7 home Premium
8GB DDR3 RAM
500GB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Atx 12v 2.0 500W PSU

My problem is that I'm trying to instal a XFX HD4870 graphics card into my system. The guide says it needs two 6pin PCI power cables. In the box there are 2: 6pic PCI to two 4 pin Such as these

However, I only have a single 4 pin cable available.

Would I be able to use three of These to create the necessary four 4pin connections? Or is there another way I can connect my card.

Thanks a lot

Reaper

What is the make and model of that power supply?

And no, that would definitely not be a good idea - it work, though only in the sense that you will have it plugged it in. It's very unlikely your power supply is designed to send enough power over the 4-pin Molex connectors to power a GPU.

Until you give us the make and model of the PSU (power supply unit), I can tell you that you'll probably need to replace the power supply with one that has enough PCI-E 6-pins.

I just opened the case up and the only information on the PSU was ATX-500.

After a quick google search: This looks like the one in my PC.

Ah, so it's a generic unbranded one. In that case, you'll definitely have to replace it - it won't be able to supply enough power for an HD4870.

What's your budget for a replacement?
Here's the best I could find that would suit your needs (decent enough quality, and has 2*6-pin PCI-E plugs).
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/265705

The quote in my signature is situations like these, btw.

The one in the link you provided is about the extent of my budget. I may be abel to squeeze up to £60 but that would be it.

Thanks for the link, and the sig is too true.

how difficult is it to replace PSUs ?

Rather simple. Unhook all cables. 4 screws on the back of your case. remove from case, put new in, screw, connect, fire that baby up.

The one in the link you provided is about the extent of my budget. I may be abel to squeeze up to £60 but that would be it.
The I linked will be just enough, with a little bit of headroom for future upgrades. You could spend up to £60, but that's not really necessary.

how difficult is it to replace PSUs ?
You just unplug all the cables that lead from the PSU, then unscrew it from the case, and reverse the process with the new one ;) If you're capable of plugging in an HD4870, then you should be even more capable of replacing the PSU. If you need any help with it you can always ask here again.
Edit: Lol, MoM ninja'd me with a more precise explanation.

Cheers for all the help guys. Looks like I'll have to wait until my next student loan goes through (start of May) to upgrade the PSU.

No Crysis for me until then :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom