Need help with WoW/Rift build

Status
Not open for further replies.

lipzo

Baseband Member
I'm looking into building a new compuer i'm just not sure what parts to go with. I want to be able to play WoW and Rift on max settings with 60+ fps. My budget is around $1300 but i can go a little bit higher if necessary. I would also like to be able to run dual screens when i can get a second monitor. I'd like this build to last me 5 years before i need to look at getting a new one
At the moment I'm thinking of going with ATI 5870 and AMD AM3 Phenom II x4 965 3.4Ghz Quad Core but i'm not sure with what mobo or what amount of ram so any suggestions would be appreacited.

ok thanks, i've heard that AMD is generally better for gaming or is that more just a matter of personal preference?

Totally personal. They are both apt at gaming. In gaming, your GFX matters the most of how well you can play. It's an ATI and NVIDIA war, really.

If you want it to last 5 years, you are willing to spend $1300, and that is only $800, you might as well bump the gpu up to this:

Newegg.com - EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

That'll be like $265 more. This will still leave room in your budget for a case, HDD, and SSD.

New consoles should be coming out before the end of 2013, so graphics are gonna see a sharp spike then. Better to have to better card if you wanna go for five.

alright, does it make much of a difference between 1.5 gb and 2 gb for a gpu?

alright, does it make much of a difference between 1.5 gb and 2 gb for a gpu?
Only when you're playing at high resolutions, and only between the same card. Just because one card has 2GB and another has 1.5GB doesn't necessarily mean the 2GB one is more powerful.

Only when you're playing at high resolutions, and only between the same card. Just because one card has 2GB and another has 1.5GB doesn't necessarily mean the 2GB one is more powerful.

ok, well as i want to be able to run wow and rift on ultra (highest possible res) and add a second monitor so i can dual screen while im playing what card would you say would be the best? sorry for all the question, im new to the whole building a computer form scratch thing :p

That 580 that you were linked to by Druid is what you should get.

Ok so after doing a little bit of quick research, reading up on these forums I think I have come to a final decision of what my build is going to be but I'm not sure on a few things:
1) I'm not 100% if everything goes together, could someone please tell me if it does or if it doesn't what part's i need to replace and what with.

2) Do I need an aftermath cooling system? (no I'm not going to be overclocking, I thought about it but I don't think I will need the extra processing power as well as the fact I would probably stuff something up).

3) Am I missing anything important?

4) Will this build be able to run WoW and Rift on max settings with 60+ FPS as well as run dual monitors?

5) Can I cut back on any costs how without sacrificing speed/effiecency?

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this, and to everyone else on the forums all your suggestions to me and other people have helped me out ALOT
Ok so my build at the moment is:

GPU: ASUS Radeon 6970 DirectCU II 2GB, ASUS Radeon 6970 DirectCU II 2GB [EAH6970DCII2DI4S2GD5] - $399.00 : PC Case Gear

MOBO: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Motherboard [CROSSHAIRIV-FORMULA] - $299.00 : PC Case Gear

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition [HDZ965FBGMBOX] - $175.00 : PC Case Gear

PSU: Corsair TX-750 Power Supply Corsair TX-750 Power Supply [CMPSU-750TXAU] - $149.00 : PC Case Gear

RAM: Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 [CMX8GX3M2A1333C9] - $119.00 : PC Case Gear

Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24B3LT 24X DVDRW LightScribe ASUS DRW-24B3LT 24X DVDRW LightScribe [DRW-24B3LT] - $55.00 : PC Case Gear

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ [HD103SJ] - $75.00 : PC Case Gear

CASE: CoolerMaster HAF 912 Advanced CoolerMaster HAF 912 Advanced [RC-912A-KWN1] - $119.00 : PC Case Gear

Thanks again to everyone who has helped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom