Graphics Performance List

Added the GTX 590. Even though the 6990 technically outperforms the 590, I don't think I'd ever recommend the 6990 over the 590 simply because the margin between them is tiny. Most benches show the cards on equal footing, with the 6990 taking a slight advantage in some.
Temps, Power consumption and noise levels (espeically noise levels!) on the 590 as compared to the 480 or 6990 are pretty amazing too. In fact if I hadn't put my 480's on WC I'd def be trading them now for a 590
/fanboy

The 6990 is slightly ahead, but they're basically equal.
The 6990 uses less power, the 590 makes less noise.

I think the 6990 has more overclocking headroom though - there have been several 590's dying because the VRM's couldn't handle the levels of power used.
Nvidia says their newer drivers will limit current to prevent that from happening (And I'd expect would also limit performance).

I think the GF114 would be better suited to a multi-GPU card than GF110.

As for me, I'd prefer to get a 28nm GPU.
TSMC haven't exactly executed things that well in the past year or two though, which is why Nvidia and AMD are stuck on 40nm, with the higher power consumption and cost to manufacture the GPU's going with it.

Hopefully AMD starts using GF instead of TSMC. Nvidia probably won't (though I'd like to see that too. It would benefit both AMD and Nvidia).

Less power? HardwareCanucks and Guru3D both say the 6990 uses slightly more.

edit: checked Anand (going out on a limb here to say that's the site you'll be quoting lol) and they peg it higher. Hmmmm...

Back
Top Bottom