RAID, RevoDrives and other miscellaneous questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cafem

Baseband Member
I've had my RevoDrive since January, and I'm loving the speed it loads up the OS, but I do have some questions, and they're about RAID.
1) The boot up screen tells me that the RevoDrive is is SiL RAID 0, where there are 2 logical drives of 23GB each. Now my finger-maths tells me thats 46GB in total, on a drive that I bought with a (supposedly) 50GB limit. Is there some way to recover the lost 4GB, assuming it exists?
2) Please help me understand this RAID thing a bit clearer. My basic, laymans terms understanding of RAID gives me the impression that this 46/50GB drive is chopped in half in terms of storage, to give better transfer rates and file integrity. For a boot drive using an old 7,200 RPM spinner as backup, is this RAID setup worth keeping? The lack of space is really pinching atm.

You see less GB than the drive is rated at because drive manufacturers use decimal gigabytes which are a bit smaller than gigabytes measured in Windows which are measured in binary gigabytes.

I'd question how much the raid 0 setup would really improve times, because the idea of a raid 0 setup is that it uses 2 separate drives, storing data on both, and when data is called the drives simultaneously launch data at whatever is calling it. When you use a single drive split into 2 logical drives, it still has to go through the same connection which I would think would limit the speed improvement.

Unless somebody has some hard numbers, I think the only way to see would be to reinstall your OS and get rid of the 2 logical partitions making it a single drive again. Or just buy a new storage hard drive, prices are cheap enough that if you can afford a SSD you should be able to buy a 1tb drive for like 80 bucks :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom