Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
Hey guys, week after next I'm planning on buying:
i5 2500K
Asus P8P67 Pro
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz

The only thing left is the heatsink. I'm selling my old heatsink (Scythe Ninja 2) along with my old parts, and I'm planning on going a bit higher-market this time. I've been looking at the options, and to be honest I'm rather confused - many of the reviews don't include other heatsinks I'm looking at, and various reviews conflict with each other. I'm finding it hard to come to a good decision.

TRUE 120 Copper £75. It looks awesome, and seems to perform very well, however I haven't been able to find any benchmarks comparing it to more recent heatsinks (it came out in 2008). Real cost is about £80-£90, since I'd want to buy a fan for it (possibly two), and perhaps even need to buy a 1156/1155 mount for it.
Noctua NH-D14 £61. Cheaper than the TRUE, though when you're dropping £400 on parts £15 doesn't make a lot of difference. Is huge, but that's unlikely to be a problem. Seems to pretty much the top-end air cooler currently.
Corsair Hydro H70 £73. Main benefit is that it's smaller and lighter than all the others. Cooling is ok, but not as good as the NH-D14. There have been complaints about the stock fans being annoyingly whiney - this is something that really annoys me (PM me for the reason if you're curious) - so real cost might be a bunch higher if I had to buy new fans for it.

If you have any opinions or suggestions, I'd really like to hear them.

Thanks,
- Yami
P.S. Oh, I'll also be buying some TX-2 paste to go with whatever heatsink I get, unless there's something better out now?

The TRUE Copper has to be lapped, so it has a few additional costs besides a few fans.

The Noctua NH-D14 will block your memory slots, I had to trim the heatsink fin's on my Vengeance modules with my dremel. I wouldn't recommend this for most users as it voids your warranty and the heatspreaders just collect the metal shavings. I had to replace the thermal tape and superglue the heatspreaders back together.

The Corsair H70 would be my recommendation for a worry free experience.

If I get the TRUE and lap it, would it be required/recommended to lap the CPU too?

Thanks for the advice - I shall avoid the Noctua.

Are there any other heatsinks you think I should consider?

Edit: Oh, and I'm wondering if I should get the P8P67 Deluxe instead of the Pro. The main differences I can figure out are:
16+2 VRM instead of 12+2
Thicker, 8-layer PCB (according to an ASUS rep; it doesn't show on any specs)
2*1Gb Ethernet instead of 1*1Gb
USB 3.0 bay thingy for the front of your case
Slightly bigger, larger mobo heatsinks
Mosfet heatsink uses screws instead of the clips that the Pro's uses
Debug LCD
Onboard power/reset/clear CMOS buttons
Slightly higher-end Realtek audio (Realtek ALC889 on the Del vs. Realtek ALC892 on the Pro)

No, you don't have to lap the CPU. But I would check it to make sure its flat.

As for the mobo I would say that would depend on you. Do you need (2) Ethernet ports and the USB bay device? The mobo heatsinks look the same to me.

The onboard power/reset/clear CMOS buttons are nice, my Classified has them but I really never used them.

The 16+2 VRM and 8-layer PCB are always a plus, usually. Unless your going to water-cool or something even more extreme, I don't see it helping. And I really think it will only help with the Extreme Cooling Solutions.

Thanks for the help :) Most of the features I don't care about, and since you say the 16+2 will only be useful if I were to do extreme OCing (which I'm not), then I'll probably just go for the Pro.

Well it might help, but I hit 5 GHz easily, I hit 5.1 GHz easily for the SuperPi thread and I'm sure I can push it higher. But I haven't "stressed tested" at anything over 5 GHz.

Well, I'll likely only be aiming for 5GHz (my original aim was 4.7, but if it's that easy...) - I see now that you have the Pro. I'm very likely to get it over the Deluxe, now.

Well just because I hit 5 GHz it doesn't guarantee anything, but I don't think you'll have any problems getting close or possibly higher (the UK is colder than Florida most of the time). And I have to say overclocking the 2600K was a lot easier than overclocking the i7 920.

edit: When you start figuring your watts count the CPU for about 175W at 5 GHz.

The Noctua NH-D14 will block your memory slots, I had to trim the heatsink fin's on my Vengeance modules with my dremel. I wouldn't recommend this for most users as it voids your warranty and the heatspreaders just collect the metal shavings. I had to replace the thermal tape and superglue the heatspreaders back together.

Hi there,
I just bought Noctua NH-U9B, Asus P8P67 Pro Rev6 and 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance.
I know those heatskinks arnt the same but i was just wondering if it would have the same problem as the Noctua NH-D14.

It's a fair bit smaller (because the NH-D14 is enormous), so I wouldn't expect it to. Just google 'noctua nh-u9b reviews' and see what two or three reviews have to say on the matter (that info will generally be in the Installation section of a review).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom