Intalling XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

slvrstang

Daemon Poster
Can you install XP on something other than the C: drive?

I want to install windows and a few games on a 10,000RPM raptor SATA drive and use my 120GB SATA for storage. BUT! I don't want EVERY program i install default to the C: (Raptor) drive.

Sure....your C: drive is abitrary....you don't have to install on C: But, you will have to partition your drive in advance and then choose another drive letter for your windows installation.

ummm a little more guidance maybe?

When i go to install XP, i put in the CD, boot up on the CD, tell it to delete my old partition, then what?

U need prolly at least 2 primary partitions to make Windows use a different driveletter. The first will become c: and the second will be d:

I am not sure, though. I havent tried it. I would have o ask my uncle, his Windows is L:/

Anyways...you can also install programs on another HD manually. Choose the folder urself.

TheMajor said:

Anyways...you can also install programs on another HD manually. Choose the folder urself.

That is EXACTLY what i'm trying to avoid. I would rather not specify the drive every time I install or save a file. I would go insane.

Can you change the drive letter after it's been partitioned?

Scenario: I have 2 drives I want windows on drive Z: or any letter but A:, C:, D:, E:, how?

:confused: I dunno why it would be so hard for windows to just change the Fin letter after install, but whatever.

come on, nobody knows how to install on a second drive? if so please explain to me it layman's terms, well maybe not retard level but step by step install

Well...
u should get partition magic and create 2 primary partitions and put Windows XP on the second primary partition. It will automatically get D:/

you can select the partition easily during installation.

The first primary partition is always C:/

Windows will assign driveletters to the partitions. The first primary partition on the first harddrive will become C:/
the second primary partition will be d:/ and then it assigns names to logical partitions: E:/, F:/, G:/... etc

right click on my computer and click on manage. enter storage where it shows you your logical (like daemon images) and physical drives. If you enter one of the settings you can unmount drives and change drive letters. Then You can do what ever you want and control where u want to install XP.

XP has to be on the booting drive, because it's the OS. You can change the letter of the drive, and you can install XP on another driver, but you still have to boot to THAT drive to bring up the OS.

The registry path set for saving and installing files is not the same for all applications and instances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom