Safely Remove Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extreme112

In Runtime
Two Questions
1. Do I really have to do really safely remove hardware before unplugging usb's and such? I haven't been doing this ever since I learned about computers and my dad hasn't done this at all either.

2. If I do need to do that, does that mean everything I connect I'll have to safely remove it?

If it is not a flash drive, that has a medium, you don't have to safely remove it. (mouse, keyboard, headphones, etc)

For flash drives, cameras, any flash media (sd), etc; I go by this rule. If there is no transferring of files between it, it is safe to remove.

Meaning, if you were transferring a file into/from it, and you release it before it is done, you risk corrupting it.
But, If you are done moving files, nothing being transferred, it is safe.

I have done this since XP, when it was first introduced. You will be taught in college to safely remove it, but I never did. Never lost a flash drive.

Generally you don't actually need to Safely Remove external hard drives. I don't even think there's the option to. It's not needed since it's not flash memory.

Related tidbit: One of the four 'lines' on a USB 2.0+ device is shorter than the other three (barely visibly) so that the system can detect when it's being pulled out. That's one reason you don't need to do Safely Remove nowadays, as well as improved flash memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom