Gaming Build for $300! Need Suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hughes11

Beta member
I now looking to scrap my old 2.6 ghz single core, 256mb sapphire 9600, 1 gig of ram comp for something new.

Some things to note: I'm looking to build the system for under $300 including rebates. I am going to be playing World of Warcraft, and possibly some shooters as well and I'd like to play them on mostly high settings with high fps. I already have my hard drive and my DVD-RW. Everything else I'm going to need to buy and here's what I have so far.

PSU: OCZ StealthXstream II OCZ500SXS2 500W ATX12V v2.2/ EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply. $19.99 after rebate (Bought while it was a shell shocker deal...most complaints were about an 8pin connector not being included, other than that it got solid reviews)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817341038

Graphics Card: XFX HD-485X-ZNFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card. $49.99 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814150482

Processor/Motherboard: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! $141

Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case. $39.99 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811119227

Ram: Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3B1K2/4GX. $35.00 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820104203

After adding this all up, it came to about $286 shipped. How does this build look? I'm definitely a beginner builder, only built one before, so my experience level is pretty low. I'm up for any suggestions.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The main concern I have with your build is the amount of time it will be in use. Do you expect to use that computer for any future games? In the past 5 years, memory and processor needs of games have skyrocketed. That build should run WoW, but I cannot say how well as I have not played it in quite sometime. The bottom line is that won't play many mainstream games that come out in 2 years. Also, I can't do Micro boards. They just don't have enough room for all my favorite goodies. It might be a better idea to wait and save up a little more. Just food for thought.

-Draco

I see what you're saying. The only reason I was going for the micro board was because I would get $8 off if I bundled and it looked like a good board. I was originally going for Newegg.com - ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard, which is what I'll most likely follow through with.

The games I'm looking to run are more mmos than shooters. I just built a very similar build for my fiance using the same processor and gpu and it runs wow 50+ fps on ultra settings. So I guess I can always pop in some more ram for $40 more down the road if it's needed.

What processor would you recommend to future proof my build a bit more while staying around the same price point?

wow still isn't very power hungry. I run it on 1920x1200 4aa/16af ultra everything and get 200fps in most areas, less in cities of course, and I'm running an i5 # 4.5ghz, and a 6870. with that 4850 you could run wow at decent settings on a medium-high resolution without any problems. The tri-core is fine for doing things in the future, but as draco said I'd save up more if you can. The more money you can throw at a computer the happier you'll be in the long run, and the longer you'll be able to hold onto the rig without having to dish more money out for upgrades.

Also the 4850 isn't dx11. Really only comes into play with shooters, more than MMO's ( I don't believe any MMO's are DX11 ready yet) but just something to think about moving forward.

Getting a reasonable "Gaming Rig" for $300 is tough (especially if it is to be of any use in a few years). If you wait you can both save more money and the prices will come down.

i would say that with that you wouldn't be able to run WoW on max settings and still have 60 fps espicially with the new 4.1 patch as the new instance's have much more detail. For 300 i would say you could probably get one that would run on medium graphs with good fps except in major cities but it may only last you a year or 2

i would say that with that you wouldn't be able to run WoW on max settings and still have 60 fps espicially with the new 4.1 patch as the new instance's have much more detail. For 300 i would say you could probably get one that would run on medium graphs with good fps except in major cities but it may only last you a year or 2

How much can that patch have bumped the reqs of the game? When it came out originally, there were no cards near as good as the 4850 on the market at all. I used to be able to max every setting in wow but one when I tried it on my old rig with a Nvidia 6800. This was at 1280x1024 which I'm going to assume he is playing it at. I seriously doubt he can't max it unless his res is higher than that which is unlikely looking at the specs of his current pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom