SSD not being recognised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cafem

Baseband Member
Hi there,

I apologise for making a similar thread; I consulted the one two posts down, and none of the solutions I tried worked.

I installed a Crucial 2.5" 64GB SSD into my PC last week, but it isnt being recognised properly. It is recognised in the BIOS and device manager, but it isn't showing up in the drive list for my computer. I set my SATA controller to AHCI, but that didnt change anything. WIndows Updater downloaded appropriate drivers automatically (alledgedly) but still nothing works. Any ideas?

Many thanks

What Windows version?

If 7/Vista, search 'Disk Management' in the Start menu. Does the SSD appear in there?
If it does, you will need to format it. Only then will it show up in My Computer.
(I'm too sure if by 'drive list' you meant Disk Management, or My Computer)

Thanks Yami :) It was Win7/64 Ultimate, I'd forgotten about the format thing.

Next thing, only a minor niggle. After re-running the Experience Index, the sub-score for my primary hard disk plummeted from (somewhere between 7.5 and 7.9) to 5.9. I can only guess that this is because my PC has decided that my storage HDD has become the primary disk, as I can't see any SSD having such a low score (FYI, my boot drive is a 48GB RevoDrive, and should be the primary drive.) Do you know how I can set the RevoDrive back to being the primary drive?

Many thanks

The "Experience Index" is just a gimmick with no real value. It's flawed, as you now see, and fairly easy to to manipulate as cheaters have been abusing it since it was introduced.

Make sure the storage drive is plugged into a SATA port behind the other drives. As in, if the Crucial SSD is plugged into SATA_1 make sure the storage drive is plugged into SATA_2 or above. Windows normally expects the Primary drive to be attached to the 1st port (which is usually SATA_0) but I'm not really sure how it deals with the Revo drive occupying a pci-e slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom