"Why you should build your own"

I'm perfectly happy to contribute to this :) Though not at this exact moment, as I'm headed off to bed for the night.

I would expect it to be something like this.

Introduction:
Explain the purpose of the article and what you hope the reader will get from it.

Buy or Build:

Buy - Explain the advantages and disadvantages of buying a Pre-Built computer.

Build - Explain the advantages and disadvantages of building a computer.

Pre-Shopping:

Explain all the options involved in various system configurations. Explain the basic purpose of each component and what to look for (good and bad).

Shopping:

Explain the Shopping experience. Combo Deals, Free Shipping, Rebates, Reputable Outlets, Store Reviews, etc...

Post an AMD and Intel Build - low,medium and High range PC.

Assembly:

Cover all the possibilities, Lots of Pictures (a GOOD camera is needed), Videos are really helpful but not every user has broadband and some people just need things to be done slower. So a video will be an addition to a written explanation with pictures. This will be the hardest part.

Bios:

Explain the basic knowledge required to make changes required for proper operation. How to check your CPU, Memory and HDD settings, etc...

Installing an Operating System:

Run through the Basic Procedure, Screenshots.

Drivers, Windows Update, Recommended Software:

Explain why drivers are needed (basic) and where to find them.

Explain why it is important to keep the OS updated.

Recommend additional software like anti-virus and explain why it is needed

Special Considerations:

Links to various guides that maybe helpful (as an example, the SSD Tweak Guide).

Troubleshooting:

Explain basic Troubleshooting Procedures. Resetting the bios, Memtest, cabling, etc...

Explain How to Post a Request for Help and what should be included in the post.

Benchmarking and Monitoring your new system:

Explain basic benchmarking, as in checking for proper system performance and not record setting. Explain how to Monitor the system temperatures, fan speeds and basic voltage readings.

That's pretty hard core, I thought this was just going to be a sticky explaining when it is versus when it is not a good idea to build.

But then if ksod would be happier with more complete information then so be it.

Has anyone/everyone used google docs or similar tool? I haven't, but from what I understand it might be a better collaborative platform for this (since you won't be able to edit each others posts on the forum).

Linking to guides on another site will be Vetoed. The purpose of this guide should be to keep our Visitors and Members at Tech-Forums, not to send them to another site.

And I don't mind helping, but I do have other projects going so my help will be limited.

Great idea Kmote.

Linking to guides on another site will be Vetoed. The purpose of this guide should be to keep our Visitors and Members at Tech-Forums, not to send them to another site.
Understandable and understood.
Then they will just be a source of info for ourselves and a bit of a template of what we should include.

I recommend using our guides, in fact it maybe easier to make a few more "specific" guides that can be linked to instead of trying to force it all into one big tell all. And I highly recommend reading other How-To guides as research, but be very careful not to plagiarize anything as it must be your own words. Read it, Learn it, Write it. Of course I don't mind if you take things from any of my guides if it helps.

The problem I have with just doing a short why or why not is, while some users will read it and just ask for help, others will want to learn more before they make a decision. If we don't have that information posted then they will leave and look for it elsewhere or we'll be stuck answering the same questions over and over again. So why not do it right the first time.

Back
Top Bottom