"Why you should build your own"

Mak, I'm not disagreeing. Or trying to. I just don't see the reason, as you just said. So teach. ;)

Well, then we need to work on this, don't we? Make sure all points are taken, as Larry said. Yes, there are many guides out there, one more misleading than the next.

I have already given the reasons. There is nothing more that can be taught. Larry owns the site, he puts his trust in Trotter and my judgment to run the site as we see fit. I already explained why it wouldnt be done. I cant teach what i already explained.

It can be worked on. It can be created, but as i already said, it shall be done right. As i said way back in my first response. If we cant cover everything, it wont be done. I dont want to be yet another tech site posting up crap that can get people hurt cause they are not informed. There is nothing more dangerous out there than that.

I have already given the reasons. There is nothing more that can be taught. Larry owns the site, he puts his trust in Trotter and my judgment to run the site as we see fit. I already explained why it wouldnt be done. I cant teach what i already explained.

It can be worked on. It can be created, but as i already said, it shall be done right. As i said way back in my first response. If we cant cover everything, it wont be done. I dont want to be yet another tech site posting up crap that can get people hurt cause they are not informed. There is nothing more dangerous out there than that.

Exactly. Something like this is a good idea but we need it to be thorough and comprehensive. As far as to what extent it should cover can be discussed as well as its merits. Just throwing something out there to be doing it is not what we need.

It can be worked on. It can be created, but as i already said, it shall be done right.
Would it be reasonable for (a) member(s) to work on the FULL why/why not/how/etc and propose the stickies from word docs and then if they were deemed comprehensive go from there?

I suggest a team (or just Yami if he's still up to the larger picture :p ) works outside the forums to put this together because I feel this could be very beneficial to the forums as a whole if it is "done right."

I am interested in helping.

Then let us work on it, give us a layout of everything it needs and we'll see what we can do. I'm sure an admin has enough work. As Abstract said, let's have a few people work on it, we'll collaborate what we have, and send reports back to you guys. If you find that it is not informative enough, give us pointers on how to improve it. Until you see it fit.

I'm in, too.

I would expect it to be something like this.

Introduction:
Explain the purpose of the article and what you hope the reader will get from it.

Buy or Build:

Buy - Explain the advantages and disadvantages of buying a Pre-Built computer.

Build - Explain the advantages and disadvantages of building a computer.

Pre-Shopping:

Explain all the options involved in various system configurations. Explain the basic purpose of each component and what to look for (good and bad).

Shopping:

Explain the Shopping experience. Combo Deals, Free Shipping, Rebates, Reputable Outlets, Store Reviews, etc...

Post an AMD and Intel Build - low,medium and High range PC.

Assembly:

Cover all the possibilities, Lots of Pictures (a GOOD camera is needed), Videos are really helpful but not every user has broadband and some people just need things to be done slower. So a video will be an addition to a written explanation with pictures. This will be the hardest part.

Bios:

Explain the basic knowledge required to make changes required for proper operation. How to check your CPU, Memory and HDD settings, etc...

Installing an Operating System:

Run through the Basic Procedure, Screenshots.

Drivers, Windows Update, Recommended Software:

Explain why drivers are needed (basic) and where to find them.

Explain why it is important to keep the OS updated.

Recommend additional software like anti-virus and explain why it is needed

Special Considerations:

Links to various guides that maybe helpful (as an example, the SSD Tweak Guide).

Troubleshooting:

Explain basic Troubleshooting Procedures. Resetting the bios, Memtest, cabling, etc...

Explain How to Post a Request for Help and what should be included in the post.

Benchmarking and Monitoring your new system:

Explain basic benchmarking, as in checking for proper system performance and not record setting. Explain how to Monitor the system temperatures, fan speeds and basic voltage readings.

That's a lot beyond what I was originally thinking of, but I think it's still a great thing to put together.

For the Assembly section we should probably link to a good guide, such as Building a PC | Build Your Own PC. No point reinventing the wheel, especially when it's a really decent wheel in this case.

That's a lot beyond what I was originally thinking of, but I think it's still a great thing to put together.

For the Assembly section we should probably link to a good guide, such as Building a PC | Build Your Own PC. No point reinventing the wheel, especially when it's a really decent wheel in this case.

I agree we should link sites like build your own and pc it yourself but I think collaborating the info on both sites along with brand specifics and T-F's overall knowledge we'd still want a pretty extensive page/post/sticky of our own.

I think Slay's guidelines are perfect.

bestfranz.gif

So is this a plan? Do we (Yami, MoM, and I) take this and run with it?

Back
Top Bottom