My New Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

zandre88

In Runtime
Hey everyone,

So I made a thread a little while back saying I was planning putting together a new build here soon. Anyways, this was the first time I really did a lot of the choosing myself so I hope I did alright. Some guy over at a non-tech forum told me that "Honestly, some components in there are pretty wasteful." I figured I'd see what you all thought and you can be honest won't bother me. You have to make a couple mistakes to learn anyways. But here is what I went with...

• Case: Cooler Master HAF-X 942
  • CPU: Intel i7 Sandy Bridge 2600k
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67
  • RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8gb
  • SSD: OCZ Agility 2 180gb
  • HDD: Western Digital Black Caviar 1.5TB & Green Caviar 2TB
  • GPU: XFX HD6970 (x2 Crossfire)
  • PSU: 850watt CORSAIR HX Series Modular
  • CPU Fan: Cooler Master V8
  • ODDs: Sony BluRay Burner Combo & ASUS DVD+R Combo

I haven't put her together just yet. I haven't had the time to really sit down and do it but I've made it my Saturday project. I can't wait to fire it up and check out this new i7 Sandy Bridge! Any critiques or thoughts would be appreciated even if I made a mistake and was "wasteful." Basically looking for a second opinion. LOL. Either way I think it'll be a good build overall.

looks good to me though I would of bought a different heatsink.

Yeah, I contemplated on the V8 but the reviews seemed pretty good over at Newegg. Although I remember when I got advice for my first build back in November I was advised it was overrated. Oh well, I can always switch that sometime. I still think I'll be able to get a moderate overclock using it with the 2600k. It just kind of took me aback when the one guy said a fair amount of my components were wasteful? I mean I guess the PSU could be a little overpowered but it gives me room if I ever want to expand something and there is a little overlap with my two ODDs but I prefer having two ODDs anyways.

This will be my first experience with overclocking so I'm not going to push it too hard.

What would you guys suggest in regards to high-end air CPU Cooler? I know the Cooler Master V8 isn't too popular here and am kind of regretting going with it but oh well. I am just curious what you all would suggest outside of the V10 (Way too big LOL). I was looking at the ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B 135mm. It seems to have a lot of good reviews. I am just looking for something that I could achieve a good overclock on my Sandy Bridge using air.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Just looking at your build and what it is roughly worth, you're already considering buying another aftermarket cooler, right? Why not spend a little more on it (which doesn't seem a problem :) ) and get a liquid cooler that'll make your i7 run at 18 degrees at whatever ghz you want :)

I've read about guys getting some big overclock numbers on air... But they strike me as the kind of fellows that do it because it is possible, not because it is a) a good idea or b) particularly feasible. More effective to go with liquid.

A couple folks here have hit 5GHz+ (stable) with the i7 2600K on air - Slaymate, our resident overclocking expert, is one of them.

Just looking at your build and what it is roughly worth, you're already considering buying another aftermarket cooler, right? Why not spend a little more on it (which doesn't seem a problem :) ) and get a liquid cooler that'll make your i7 run at 18 degrees at whatever ghz you want :)

I've read about guys getting some big overclock numbers on air... But they strike me as the kind of fellows that do it because it is possible, not because it is a) a good idea or b) particularly feasible. More effective to go with liquid.

Just because your water-cooling it doesn't mean your going to be able to run at 18 degrees.

I run my 2600K at 5GHz all day every day, with air-cooling, and it's perfectly safe and more feasible than running it at stock.

Do I recommend it to everyone? No, because most people don't have enough knowledge to do it properly. But it's not that hard to learn, it just requires a little time and common sense.

As for the Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B 135mm heatsink, don't buy that, the V8 is better. I'll make a few recommendations when I get home from work this afternoon.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Corsair H70, its the cooler I plan on using in my next build. Its a self-contained liquid cooling system so you get the benefits of liquid cooling without the hassle of having to set one up yourself. Link for lazyness

The Corsair H70 is a good choice, I reviewed it Here.

This is the bad boy on the block but you may have problems with Memory sticks that have tall heatspreaders.
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

This would be my next choice, shopping at Newegg. A fan, or two, must be purchased separately.
Newegg.com - Prolimatech Supermega Intel Socket 1156, 1366 and 775, 6 Dual Heatpipes, Twin Tower CPU Cooler

These are my favorite fans as they push a lot of air. They come with a fan controller if you find the fan to loud on High.
Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE FM121 120mm Case Fan

This is a good Heatsink and it comes with fans.
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

If you don't mind shopping at Frozencpu.com or Performance-pcs.com I'll recommend a few more possibilities tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom