replace video card or buy more memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hello_tully

Solid State Member
My computer's a gateway 700X P4 2Ghz with 256MB of RDRAM. My video card is a GeForce2 MX400. I bought it in January 2002.

I think it's worth keeping this computer for another couple of years if I can, as it works just fine for surfing the internet and word processing (its main use). I play some computer games though, and find that I usually have to set the video settings to low in order to get smooth flowing gameplay (like 800x600 and low texture and shadow settings). I'd really like to be able to up the resolution to at least 1068x768 if not higher and keep all the detail settings at high. Would replacing my video card help? Or should I focus on getting more memory first? I'd like to spend no more than $200 if possible.

Thanks.

lol. Looks like you need both, pal.

I would seriously suggest getting more RAM, first, though, as your system could desperately use it.

That video card is older than dirt, too. Processor is getting gray too.

If it has an AGP slot, you could get an ATI 9600. Also, maybe another 256 of ram (shame it's rambus, more expensive than ddr).

Thanks for the responses.

How do I know if I have an AGP slot? Is there any way I can find out without opening up my computer?

Also, my understanding is that more memory will help my computer run faster when I've got like 10 windows running at the same time, but will it help when I only have 1 game running? Or will a new video card give me more bang for my buck?

Last, seeing as it will cost $300 - $400 to get both memory and a new video card, is that a waste of money on a computer as old as mine? How much more mileage should I expect out of a P4 2Ghz computer?

2ghz of cpu would still suit you fine for windows applications. But for games with a 256mb ram... um... yeah.. it's on the edge.

with about 200 bucks. I would say it's pretty much a waste of money to upgrade on a 2ghz cpu. I would recommend saving up and buying a new one. It could last you maybe 1~2 years, depending on what games you play. I would definitely save up and start all over.

Yes. you can figure out without opening. IF AND ONLY IF(sounds like a math term, anyways) you know what your Motherboard is . you can just go google and type your motherboard model and it should probably show it to you. If you look at specs, you should see it, or either by just looking at the picture. If there's a slot that looks different from the regular PCI slots, mostly brown colored compared to white pci slots,that means it has an agp slot. Careful, the slot has to be above the pci slots, it's not the ram slots.

tell us what kind of games you play and we could probably get you and good comp at a good price.

I'm not sure about the memory part where it is faster when running 10 windows at a time and such. I'm not really in to the memory stick department so i would need some help on that.:eek:

for instance the game i play frequently is rainbow six raven shield. sometimes also max payne 2. i'd just like to be able to up the graphics settings on these games and make them look nicer. is a 2ghz P4 capable enough to play these games with the right video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom