(another) build help thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruggnit

Beta member
So I am going to be trying to build my first computer. I'm gonna be using it for gaming and general use. I've been reading around on here, trying to figure out what I can but I will definitely be needing all of your help! It doesn't need to be the biggest, baddest thing out there but I would like to be able to play just about any game at reasonable settings (they don't need to be maxed out). Please make any changes or suggestions. And if any of these come in combo deals or better items match up in combo, please let me know! Thanks! With all of these, they are just guides. If there are better deals or bang for my buck out there (even if it means slight loss in performance or slight price increase), please let me know!

I am trying to stick to around $700 for a tower but that is fairly flexible. More of a guide, so to speak.

Case

These three were all rated highly on newegg and all look pretty nice and have similar price points. Which do I go with? I like the rosewill and antec because the power supply is on the bottom and have top fans but I'm not ruling out the cooller master yet. Input is appreciated!

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP Black Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Newegg.com - Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Hard Drive

Does the cache size make a huge difference (ie. between 32 and 64)? I am going to go with WD because I read that seagate has slipped in quality lately. just a matter of picking the size and cache. definitely going with 7200 rpm, though.

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Power Supply

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Graphics

A bit of guidance would be greatly appreciated from here on out (now that the easy parts are done, lol). I have the 550 ti Fermi selected for this. I did not see it in the gpu performance ranking sticky, so I am not too sure.

Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Suggestions from here would be appreciated. I don't know if intel or amd is better right now or if there is going to be a new release soon that will drop prices, so please help me with your recommendations.

Intel and AMD aren't always a definite. Intel is better sometimes, AMD is better others. AMD is usually cheaper; however.

Thumbing through the cases you listed I would probably go with either the Antec 300 or the Cool Master case, they both operate very efficiently with air flow. Hard drive isn't bad, but I'd suggest getting a 1TB HDD, since you'll primarily be gaming. Graphics card choice isn't bad either.

You'll also need to figure out which CPU and RAM you'll be using. As far as RAM goes nowadays I'd highly recommend the Ripjaw Series. And you may also need to consider an Operating System and peripherals which I am sure you have since you have a seven hundred dollar budget.

Let us know.

Not to discredit Pyrothrillah but I've heard that for the most part the Challenger heavily rivals the 300 due to the 300's lack of inside paint and wire management. Another member also claims the stock fan setup in the Challenger really surprised him.

At one point I considered the 300 and Challenger but I felt the Destroyer was better looking with many of the same features.

Just my 2 cents.

any suggestions on which way to go with the cpu/mobo/ram? im a little stumped in that department. and are there better deals or anything than the items i had listed? better value for the price kind of thing?

Given that you've got a budget you're probably better off getting an AMD CPU (they have good price for performance at the mid-end). Look at the Phenom II X4 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom