Thermal Pad or Paste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tOny mOnt4n4

In Runtime
I just ordered a new heatsink/fan, Thermaltake EXTREME VOLCANO 12. It comes with both thermal compound and thermal tape i was wondering what would be the best for me.

P.s, the thermal tape goes on the bottom/middle of the heatsink and the paste goes on the little square on the processor itself, right?

tOny mOnt4n4 said:
I just ordered a new heatsink/fan, Thermaltake EXTREME VOLCANO 12. It comes with both thermal compound and thermal tape i was wondering what would be the best for me.

P.s, the thermal tape goes on the bottom/middle of the heatsink and the paste goes on the little square on the processor itself, right?

Just use them both, they wont conflict and you'll get double coverage on heat controle!

Re: Re: Thermal Pad or Paste?

XT said:
Just use them both, they wont conflict and you'll get double coverage on heat controle!

i thought u werent supposed to use both....?:confused:

Re: Re: Re: Thermal Pad or Paste?

tOny mOnt4n4 said:
i thought u werent supposed to use both....?:confused:

Iv built my fair share of computers and have used both on most of them. However, if your directions say other wize go with the thermal paste as it is a better heat obsorber.

aaah... iv heard your not supost to use both at the same time also. logic also suggest not to use both at the same time. (example- putting glue on tape. has no advantages, u get better resaults using 1 or the other)

(example2 - using more glue then nessasary reducess its eficency, your suppost to fill the gap between the 2 surfacess, not widen the space between them)

jolancer said:
aaah... iv heard your not supost to use both at the same time also. logic also suggest not to use both at the same time. (example- putting glue on tape. has no advantages, u get better resaults using 1 or the other)

(example2 - using more glue then nessasary reducess its eficency, your suppost to fill the gap between the 2 surfacess, not widen the space between them)

Valid, however iv compared using both to just using 1 of the above ways and by using both iv been able to reduce the heat by significant proportions. So i use both now just by personal experience.

use the paste and nothing else, no tape or pad. the end.

look, if the heat has to go through two seperate items before it can get to the heatsink to dissipate, the cpu will run hotter. it's just like putting too much paste on, or two tape or pads.

ohGrFreak said:
use the paste and nothing else, no tape or pad. the end.

look, if the heat has to go through two seperate items before it can get to the heatsink to dissipate, the cpu will run hotter. it's just like putting too much paste on, or two tape or pads.
If you put to much paste on the paste will go out side the little center of the cpu where its suppost to go, this does not increase the resistance to the heat because the heat goes threw and not arround. If you put to much paste however u may screw up your cpu :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom