Just checking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wavewave

Beta member
Hey,

I've been looking at netbooks, and I think the Samsung N145 or Acer Aspire One 533 could be suitable but I just want to double check.

What I need to run:

Word
Powerpoint
Excel
Itunes
VLC media player (movies off harddrive)
Firefox (video including youtube and bbc iplayer)
Bitlord
NOD eset antivirus.

Would that be fine, I'm guessing it will be but i just want to be certain.

If I want to upgrade to 2gb RAM, how do you go about that (and is it worth it)? If you buy the ram chips is it a simple matter of replacing/adding them manually, does it void the warranty?

Netbooks come with the starter, I assume office is available for download?

Thanks.

Either of those netbooks should be OK for what you need. I'd go with the Acer, but that's just my preference. Both are well matched.

You can upgrade the RAM easily. There is compartment on the bottom that will allow you access to it. 1 or 2 screws hold it down. This does not void warranty. As long is there is no sticker there, it is allowed to access.

A update of 1GB to 2GB is a giant leap. I did it myself on my netbook, that I no longer have. It boosted performance greatly. Most of those have a limit of 2GB though.

It comes with 7 starter, yes. It normally comes with a trial for Office 10. So you need your own license to use it after 60 days, I think it is.

Just thought I'd point out, my old netbook had a 1.3GHz Atom - the original one - had 2GB of RAM, and the absolute bottom-end Intel integrated graphics.
It ran Win7 Pro flawlessly, and MS Office 2010 (Beta at the time) pretty good - Word was perfect, though Publisher and Powerpoint were a bit laggy while editing.
More modern netbooks, such as the two you're looking at, will be able to do all that and more, without lag.

Btw, if you're a student then you can usually get MS Office 2010 pretty cheap (I'd definitely recommend it over OpenOffice, btw) - about £40 ($70USD) here in the UK. If you're not, then oh well :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom