Two gigabytes worth the extra $300-$400?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YanBooth

Daemon Poster
I was wondering if you people here think that two gig's of RAM is worth all the extra money. Also, could I take two 1 gig kits of dual channell RAM, and put it on th same board?
Thanxxx
Yan:)

Yes if you have 4 or more RAM slots you can put a gig in each. Dual channel has nothing to do with the ram stick itself, it's just the mobo.

This will help you understand it. http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25877&highlight=dual+channel

**Attention all Mods**
Can you please make the dual channel ram post a sticky?
Also if that post has too much irrelivent info I will be glad to write a post that is solely on the topic of dual channel ram to help people understand the subject.

YanBooth said:
I was wondering if you people here think that two gig's of RAM is worth all the extra money.

It depends on what the rig is used for. If you are a hardcore gamer that kind of ram might come in handy in the next 2-6 years because of the emmense strain games are putting on systmes these days. If you are a normal gamer, with surfing habits and dont have to many strenuos games its not wourth it, simply because the ram will actually slow down your computer because it does not have enough stress put on it.

Also, could I take two 1 gig kits of dual channell RAM, and put it on th same board?

2 1 gig kits would mean you have 4 512mb ram dimms, if your going for the 2 gigs this would be the best way to buy it simply because 1 gig dimms are expensive. However, if you go by this road you will need to make sure all 4 sticks are the same, buy 2 of the exact same 1 gig kits, or else your duel channel wont be of any use to you. If all the dimms are the same duel channel is possible
put it on th same board?

I am a gamer, and I want to spend what $$$ is necessary now, not be angered at slow performance in 2 years, I am also waiting until Nvidia Nforce4 SLI is out. What do you think? 2 gig's of dual chanell, or TWO 1 gig pairs of dual channell?
Thanks
Yan

YanBooth said:
I am a gamer, and I want to spend what $$$ is necessary now, not be angered at slow performance in 2 years, I am also waiting until Nvidia Nforce4 SLI is out. What do you think? 2 gig's of dual chanell, or TWO 1 gig pairs of dual channell?
Thanks
Yan

I believe i adressed this before, but with a hardcore gamer as the rigs owner 2 gb of ram might come into play. Maybe, duel channel gives 10% boost at best, so it really doesn't do much if you have that much ram in your machine. its like 200$ off of 2000 dollar purchuse i know i wiouldn't really notice the 200.

**Attention all Mods**
Can you please make the dual channel ram post a sticky?
Also if that post has too much irrelivent info I will be glad to write a post that is solely on the topic of dual channel ram to help people understand the subject
Write an article and submit it to someone like Larry or eaksine and they will put it in the article section like my one on BIOS Hot flashing ;)

from what ive seen dual channel can increase performance 50%, especially in all editting apps and in some very graphically intense games. and SLI looks like it could be very sweet... as for your 2 gigs of ram question i would say its unnecessary, much like PCI-E and many other new things, the question i wonder is how much more bandwidth can new games use? how much more memory do they need? look at doom3 an absolutely beautiful game in anyone's opinion, how much better looking can it get in the future to require so much friggin ram? graphics editting and apps like that can tend to need shitloads but IMO 2 gigs is unnecessary

So, go with 1 gig of dual now??? then add another gig of dual if I feel the need?
I'm confused...
TY

it is just my suggestion, stick with 1 gig of dual(2*512). and by the time they get around to finding some way to use 2 gigs of memory in a game you will have built another rig and 2 gig dual channel will be down in price considerably... all just my opinion, but im a smart guy ya know :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom