Extra psu for ground during build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oogee

Baseband Member
I have this extra psu 300-400 watts i got from a garage sale a while back for no specific reason. I am wondering if i can plug it in with my anti static wrist strap attached to one of the mounting brackets on it to remain grounded while doing work inside my pc.

I think this would work except i am worried about the the fact i have no idea what its history is and if it were a bad psu could grounding myself to it somhow be dangerous. (has no on/off switch)

Also the both the Psu and the computer case i will be working in is coated in black paint, hence the 2nd psu because its exposed metal. Sadly i have no wooden areas to be working on so i will be standing on lanolium and working on a glass table.

Edit: i found an old 700W that fried a while back with a switch, i think the ground would still work fine because it dident pop or fix untill it was powered on via the old computer.

Thx for the help!

Lol all I did was take a long wire I found in my garage (like 50ft or something) and attach one end to the pipe under my sink, then stick the other end in the side of my pants like a pedometer..

I never use a wrist strap...pretty much all of my building has been done laying down on soft carpet, I just keep the boards off the carpet by setting them on their boxes/anti-static bags. If I feel like I have a lot of static I touch an outlet (the screw holding outlet faceplates on is ground) or the case of my PC (must be plugged in with PSU mounted for this to work).

The ground on a PSU is connected to the metal PSU case which is in turn connected to the PC case by the metal mounting screws. It is all one big ground when plugged in, touch it and it will ground any static off of your hands so you can touch parts without fear of frying them. I usually don't bother and haven't ruined anything yet (a few major builds plus a lot of cleaning, repairs, replacements, etc).

Thanks for the tips guys, but i ended up working on the kitchen table in my 100%Cotton boxers attached to the power supply via the wrist strap while occasionally touching the ground on my wall outlet to be safe.

Back hurts, but i felt intimate with my pc. ;)

If I feel like I have a lot of static I touch an outlet (the screw holding outlet faceplates on is ground)

Make sure that there isnt a wire plugged into the outlet that is drawing current if you do this. Otherwise, a small blue bolt may jump out of the wire and hit your hand, causing a bit of pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom