overclocking i7-2600 no (k) and how to check if turbo boost is on

Status
Not open for further replies.
aspire said:
I'm gonna have to say you don't know what you're talking about in regards to these new Intel chips. 5ghz with a 2500k on the stock heatsink is easy and safe.

I'm going to have to say you don't know what your talking about as it's very unlikely and definitely not safe.

I'm going to have to say you don't know what your talking about as it's very unlikely and definitely not safe.

The difference is I actually have a 2500k, that clocked to 5ghz, with the stock heatsink. Temps never went above 65C.

My point is that in order to overclock you don't NEED and aftermarket heatsink and saying otherwise is disinformation.

The difference is I actually have a 2500k, that clocked to 5ghz, with the stock heatsink. Temps never went above 65C.

My point is that in order to overclock you don't NEED and aftermarket heatsink and saying otherwise is disinformation.

It's easy to claim something without providing any proof.

Disabling HT on my 2600K at 5GHz with a Noctua NH-D14 and 8GB of DDR3 1600 shoots my Temps into the 70's after running 20 passes of LinX. I'm more than positive your stock heatsink can't keep up.

5ghznohtlinx.jpg

slay.jpg

Hitting 5ghz is an extreme example to be sure, granted it was only stable enough to run SuperPi but w/e, but I took serious issue with his remark that to overclock at all requires an aftermarket heatsink. This is demonstrably false and a dumb generalization to make.

With such an elitist attitude it's no wonder the forums are so dead these days.

Considering we know virtually nothing about the original poster I consider his statement
Your temps are fine on the other post but before you can even think about overclocking you need an aftermarket cooler.
as a very responsible and considerate answer.

Telling someone, you know little to nothing about, that they can overclock to 5GHz with the stock heatsink is irresponsible. Especially when, you fail to mention, your talking about a 10 second SuperPi run with an unstable system. Very few people come to this forum to overclock just for a high benchmark score, they mostly want a stable system and if they overclock they want that stable also.

If anything, attitude wise, is contributing to a slow down of the forums it would be careless, misleading advice.

If being an elitist means telling the truth and having the proof to backup my statements then so be it. And I get an awful lot of thank you's so I'm pretty confident that I'm not slowing the sites traffic down.

Ooh, TOLD.

'You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Slaymate again.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom