Can you Build me a gaming Rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus Lonsdalius

Solid State Member
Hi everyone, I am looking to spend about £900 - £1200 on a gaming rig, I know its a lot to ask but can you give me a idea of the components i should be looking at? Phenom II x6 or i5 (sandybridge) nividia 580 vs ati 6970 . What am i looking at for the price? Will it be able to run the latest games at a reasonable fps or will it crumble at the sight of Crysis 2 ? Would be great if someone could give me a list of components to use. Thanks.
Oh i'm using a 1920x1080 Resolution monitor if that helps!
Edit : Is the new AMD Bulldozer processors worth waiting for or is Intel the way to go?
Edit: Oh this PC looks amazing =, bit over budget but what do you think? http://www.cryopc.co.uk/cryo_nemesis.htm

I don't think Crysis 2 is the standard to compare system specs to anymore as the games code was written for consoles. But I've heard that PCs two years old can run the game more than fine.

Depends on price. For that kind of money, you could build a system based around either brands.

The i5 2500k performs better than the phenom 1090T in benchmarking tests, but doesn't mean terribly much unless you are aiming for a specific performance characteristic... That having been said, is BFBC2 optimized to hexacore? If you're only using 4 cores max (or 2 cores) it doesn't matter how many you've got!

nividia 580 vs ati 6970

Check out THIS out. This is the graphics rating thread.

1 HD6990
2 HD5970
3 GTX 580
4 GTX 570
5 GTX 480
6 HD6970

How much do you value performance? The GTX performs better than the HD6970... How much, I couldn't tell you... How that translates into fps, again, I couldn't tell you.

I can tell you the HD6970 is a big *** graphics card, I'd advise you to get a full sized case and a full sized mobo otherwise things might get a bit cramped in your case!

Price wise, Nvidia & Intel are more expensive. ATi & AMD are generally cheaper.

Get back to us with which way you wanna go and someone can put together some components for you. Or ask more questions :D

Hope i've helped!

Edit: Oh this PC looks amazing =, bit over budget but what do you think? Cryo Nemesis Custom built high performance gaming PC
That's a pretty good price for a pre-built, actually. We tend to recommend building your own, but if they overclock it for you too, then that's pretty good. The usual problem of pre-builts, which is usually that they use substandard parts (usually cheap, unreliable power supplies and motherboards), isn't an issue with that site since you know everything that goes in it.

Only change I would suggest is to take the sound card out - unless you're an audiophile then the integrated motherboard sound is perfectly good.

Edit: Ooh, also they're hiring and aren't very far away from me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom