Multi monitor rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

heister

In Runtime
Hey guys,

I am going to be building a multi monitor rig (6 to 8 monitors) sometime over the course of the year. Since im not building the computer now I wont bother you guys with any questions about that since its pretty much pointless since **** changes so fast. What I was wondering however is what kind of monitors would you all suggest, I am looking for something with super high res since I need as much screen real estate as I can get. I am looking at a 22 to 24 inch size screen unless you all think it is better to go bigger or smaller.

Thanks in advance

For video cards I would recommend Eyefinity 6 edition 5870's or whatever their 6xxx equivalent is, each card can push 6 monitors with DisplayPort or active adapters. If you need to push 8 monitors you can get two of these cards.

As for monitors I would definitely go 1080p or higher but the size depends on where you want to set them up.

Thanks, I am doing currency trading so I need lots of space for my charts and what not. With windows 7 I shouldnt need any special software to extend the display on to multiple monitors from multiple gpus, right?

As for monitors I would definitely go 1080p or higher but the size depends on where you want to set them up.

If the monitors are being used purely for word processing and not gaming, 1080p is a bit overkill is it? Wouldn't using a smaller resolution help? How decent to pie charts need to look?

@Heister: are you going to be able to track everything over 6 or 8 screens? I would think 3 or 4 maybe 5 would be the max I could physically use efficienctly. Anything more than that and I'm compensating for something ;) :D . I'd be impressed if you can efficiently use that many!

I have a 1080p monitor, it makes stuff like Word, Publisher etc. MUCH easier to use, since you can fit more on the page - Word is especially good since you can have two pages side-by-side, while still able to read and edit both perfectly. And lol, how would having a smaller resolution be better?

And lol, he'll be using it for a lot more than pie charts if he's doing currency trading (which is one of the more ignorant things I've read on here). Think more along the lines of a giant chart (not a pie chart) on each screen tracking several currencies' ups and Downs in relation to each other.

if you wanna go with a 24" go with a 1920x1200 resolution monitor, not 1080p, that extra 120 vertical pixels can add a lot of real estate. The other option would be to bump up to a 30" which runs at 2560x1600.

If you threw down for 6 24" monitors in a 3x2 configuration that would give you a usable 5740x2400 resolution. the only problem that you might run into is the bezel's. they're usually a half inch to inch wide which would be pretty annoying in the middle of a chart or graph.

Another option might be just a large TV...that would eliminate the bezel problem and there wouldn't be the problem of having to put the monitors on a rack/wall, or however you're planning on doing it.

Another option might be just a large TV...that would eliminate the bezel problem and there wouldn't be the problem of having to put the monitors on a rack/wall, or however you're planning on doing it.

The only bad thing about that is the limited resolution that would be achieved. With One big t.v, you're still only going to be able to fit the same amount of windows/programs on it, as you would a smaller monitor with the same resolution. With a 3x2 setup, you can have 6 times the amount of space a normal large t.v. would provide. Yeah, it's a smaller monitor, but it still has the same amount of space on it for the desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom