Laptop Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musjunk22

Daemon Poster
I want to upgrade my laptop's memory, I opened up the ram cover and the stick thats in there says it's PC66 (slow+old). If I were to buy a PC100 stick would it still work in the laptop?

Also when I bought the laptop on ebay the listing said that the memory is upgradeable to 256MB I think 2x128? But if I put in a 512MB stick would it recognize it? How about two 512's?

BTW It's an IBM ThinkPad 600E 2646-8BU 400MHz P2 running Win XP, and I know it has the potential for running some games but not without more ram.

Well this was all I could find regarding that thinkpad:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/product.php/p...,5215761/ProduktId/5377009/TabId/4/subTabId/1

and that actually says 600X and not 600E not sure if the X means like wildcard or literally X instead of E, but that one says it can go up to 578mb of RAM........but if you said you saw an e-bay listing saying it can only support 256 then putting in a 512mb stick would be useless...

Also I couldn't find anywhere regarding how fast of memory it supports so I don't know if it'll indeed Support PC100....it's hard to dig up information on hardware that's pretty outdated =/

Things like that require the manual or tech-support to answer because man I can't find ANY info on that thinkpad of yours, guess it's a bit outdated....I keep finding ones near it, but are just slightly newer revisions.

Well since my 600E has almost the same specs except for the cpu and hdd I think I'm going to take my chances at a stick of PC100 512MB SODIMM and buy it because it's pretty cheap anyway and I reaaaaly need it. Thanks for that info. I even searched IBM's site and they didn't even have any of those specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom