Linux is better at failing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
not to discredit the content of your post, but this might be a little one sided on this issue. You have to actually read the article to see what they are talking about.
The article covers the common missconception that telling someone to do a format c: in windows will cause your whole C drive to vanish. The rough equivalant in Linux would be "rm -Rf /". Although that is a bit different concept. What shoobie fails to point out is that both OS's actually died. Windows just had more grace in it. I think it would be because they have been doing it for so long ;)
Actually, as stated in the post, the Linux OS uses cached files from memory, a bit faster, so it doesn't hold files in a locked state. That is opposite of what Windows does, and so windows is still able to perform a shutdown operation, where as Linux just kind of dies. This is due to the FS being able to actually remove everything except a few little pieces that are protected.
Anyway, just thought I would add my 2 cents on this one...

You have to actually read the article to see what they are talking about.
I'm not in the habit of posting things I haven't read.
The article covers the common missconception that telling someone to do a format c: in windows will cause your whole C drive to vanish.
I know. That was the original concept, but the reason for the interest was not in the test, but in what happened. That's why I posted it.
The rough equivalant in Linux would be "rm -Rf /".
That's what the article says. Testing the effects of both commands ('format C:' and 'rm -rf /') to see what each OS does.
What shoobie fails to point out is that both OS's actually died.
I didn't fail to point out anything. The article pointed out several times that both OS's failed. I'm not going to give complete highlights of the article...That's why I posted it to be read.
Windows just had more grace in it. I think it would be because they have been doing it for so long
I think what you mean to say is that Windows didn't totally blitz the system like Linux did. Both were left in shambles at the end. It was an unreal scenario, but it's nice to know that if it ever did happen, I wouldn't be left with pink mess on a locked-up box.

Although the scenario is very strange and I can't see many people wanting to do this normally, Windows "saw" what was happening (by design) and prevented a catastrophic failure. Linux just dumbly deleted whole trees till it failed (blasting the screen in pretty colors in the end).

I wasn't saying you had not read it. It was for the other who might just skim...

But you need ROOT access for that to even work ( you get a password request). In windows you don't.
No, I mean that windows is better at it, dying that is. I was being serious. They have come to the point where they want it to look good no matter what. It helps with users. Also being that windows FS locks out files that are being accessed it prevents them from being deleted. That is what really saved them the Massive BSOD...

Problem with posting selected text is providing the misconception in the first place. I'm not criticizing your post, I'm just giving light to the rest. Not every one will read it cause you say they should...
:)
the whole pink thing has a lot of people wondering though...

nothing different. If windows has a file open, you can't delete it until the OS lets go of it.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft didn't waste time making sure that if someone tried to delete the whole system, there would be a protocol for it. Rather, I believe what he's seeing is the nature of the Windows file-system, protecting the system from catastrophic failure.

I honestly don't let the logout screen bother me. Instead, I am more interested in the fact that Windows went into the grave peacefully, rather than blindly dive-bombing into the grave like Linux did.

Anyway, as for the way Linux locks out the root tree, you wouldn't be able to perform this function without unlocking that. Since the test was to see what either OS would do in the event of someone trying to blast the whole file-system from inside, the root had to be opened on the Linux machine.

Who would want to do this anyway? I know it's a joke, but in the real world, who would want to do this? Linux locks the root, while Windows doesn't. *shrugs*

Personal users of Windows, Microsoft assumes they want actual control of their machine. For the corporate environment, most individual users don't have rights to do these actions, and doing so anyway isn't as big of a deal. Plus, in a corproate environment, there's always a systems admin to do work on the computers. Everyone else just handles the application side of things. I would also argue that Linux locks their root by default because it is so easy to execute commands without a logical check by the system beforehand. Linux simply won't let you do something unless you're the admin, and at which point you simply unlock things and do what you want. In Windows, if you try to do something like formate the root directory, you'll get a warning. Based on the situations above, what difference does it make if they have to enter a password beforehand or not? Home users are expected to want control of their machine, and business users don't have enough rights to do anything in the first-place.

I'm not forcing anyone to read this stuff. I just thought it be interesting for all the OS fanatics on this forum.

Anyway, the pink garble (not always pink, btw) is debatable. Some claim it's an explosion of the graphics drivers for the VGA. Others (ironically mostly anti-Windows posters) claim it has to do with the xWindows emulation interface dying (basically saying it's Window's fault that Linux deleted itself and caused a mess).

I'm not trying to be anti-Linux, here. I seriously don't mean anything by this thread. I think most people can agree that in this scenario, Linux lost. It's not the end of the world. It's not even entirely relevant, considering the idiocy of the scenario. It's amazing the lengths people will go to, to avoid admitting that Windows actually did something better than Linux. LOL :)

This is a healthy debate, and an interesting read. Lets keep this on track and not like the Windows thread that went sour.

:D

windows 95 was, i guess, able to destroy windows while trying to use the format c: command in the MS-DOS prompt, saw it in an article at littlewhitedog.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom