Auto-defrag question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro2a

In Runtime
My buddy said something about turning the auto-defrag off with my SSD's because they aren't designed to take that all the time. Eventually they will turn into expensive paperweights. I really didn't understand his reasoning but has anyone ever heard of this?

Yes, you should never defrag a SSD under any circumstances. All it does is cause unnecessary writes to the drive which can eventually wear it out.

SSD's don't need to be defragged. A normal platter drive when it goes to find data, the head will spin up and go to the location, and read the data and if it's all over the place ,that's why you defrag it. The way a SSD reads the data is similar, but without a head having to go locate the drive, and regardless of where the data is on the drive, since it's just electrical signals transferring the data to and from the drive where it is has a very little effect on the speed, so defragging isn't necessary.

My buddy said something about turning the auto-defrag off with my SSD's because they aren't designed to take that all the time. Eventually they will turn into expensive paperweights. I really didn't understand his reasoning but has anyone ever heard of this?
Defragging (depending on the Program and how it is set) places frequently used Data and Programs on the outer edge of the Drive (where it rotates quicker). By placing them in closer proximity to each other the Defragger reduces the Seek Time (your enemy) and avoids re-seeking for all the fragments.

A SSD does not rotate nor does it have appreciable Seek Time, but it does have limited writes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom