Upgrading my PC componets, which is the best way to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lentyski

Solid State Member
Well I have a HD 5770, Phenom iix4 bb5 4 GB RAM!

Shogun 2 Total War runs pretty good but I still want to update it to run perfectly great.

I usually shop from frys and from the budget there it shows for GTX 570, 6970.
I also want to get 4 more RAM and a new stronger processor

I was thinking like 300-350 for the card, 200-250 for the CPU and about 70 for the ram.

Or should I just spend it all on the card? Maybe the 5970? *Though I dont understand why the 5970 is stronger then the 6xs since they are the more recent ones*.

If I do just spend it all on the card which card should I get? If not, which processor/card is good?

Well ty!

PS I have a 500 WATT I am thinking I will need to upgrade...

So please kinda help me out on the whole graphic card thing, my reso. is 1920 x 1080

Why Frys? They're pricey. How bout newegg? K? K. ;)

ATI numbers their cards like so.
"5" Card Generation
"9" Level of performance 9 being the highest at enthusiast
"7" I forget what this one means but ya
"0" doesn't mean squat

Just because a card is new does not mean its faster than the old ones.
My newer GTS450 is not faster then the GTX480 in the gen before it.

Ok If your looking to upgrade your processor I would I have to say you need to get a new motherboard and processor which is not possible in your budget. There just isn't a real point to moving to another Phenom II x4

If you are only gaming you don't need more ram.

There are 2 routes in my eyes. Get a new mobo and cpu or a new GPU and save for the new combo later.
If you choose a new GPU realize you may be bottlenecked by the Phenom.

EDIT: Here is option 1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.622001

Also. What kind of form factor do you have going on?

New form? What do you mean? lol

Sorry still learning about PCs.

Get a new CPU over card? o.0.

Well my motherboard is pretty good, ill link it for you, well at least I think its good.

FRYS.com*|*Asus

I was just thinking of mainly going for a card.

And I was comparing the prices of cards to frys and egg, their about the same..

Form factor in a nutshell is the size of your case and how big of a motherboard you can fit.

Yes your CPU is good and will game fine but my general point was you can't really get much better of a CPU without buying a new mobo too.

If you want to just get a card that's fine you will still see a huge performance boost. If you are sticking to the $650~ Range you had set how about

Card
Newegg.com - SPARKLE Calibre Series X580 GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

PSU You'll need one.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

Oh wow, ok cool thanks!

Yeah Im just going to say screw the CPU for now lol.

So the 580 is the best way to go? It seems like a really good way to go, will I be able to run AA/Filtering ? Even though people say you might as well not.

That card is the best single GPU graphics card in the world so it can do a lot. You should be able to crank every game to the highest settings.

How long do you think it will last me? Im thinking it will last me for a bit, so wow, about 600-650$...dam...lol Im 17, no job, though I got my built 850$ and 24 inch monitor some howXD.

Lifetime? 10 years. How long will it max out graphics in games? 5~ years.

I just went with that amount because it's what you listed before. If you want to spend less give me a number and I can see what'll be best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom