My new build - Gaming and 3D Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finis

Baseband Member
Ok so I'd like some opinions on mmy latest build, it's going to be used for gaming and some 3D mecanical design (CAD, Solidworks...). My aim was to keep it between £800-£900 but I can strecth to £1000 if need be, so here we go:

PSU: Scan.co.uk: Corsair CMPSU-850HXUK HX 850W Modular Power Supply (PSU)

CPU: Scan.co.uk: Intel CPU Core i5 2500K Unlocked Sandy Bridge Quad Core Processor - BX80623I52500K

Mobo: Scan.co.uk: Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3 Intel P67 Express Socket 1155 Motherboard - P8P67 PRO <Rev.3.0>

RAM: Scan.co.uk: Corsair Memory XMS3 8GB DDR3 1333 Mhz CAS 9 Dual Channel Desktop - CMX8GX3M2A1333C9

GPU: Scan.co.uk: Gigabyte HD 6950 ATI - AMD Radeon Graphics Card - 2GB - GV-R695D5-2GD-B

Case: Scan.co.uk: Coolermaster HAF 932 Advance Black Full Tower Case with USB 3.0 w/o PSU - RC-932-KKN5-GP

Total: £820

Any suggestions will be helpful, I already have a hard drive (Western Digital Caviar Black) and OS (Windows 7 Ultimate).

Thanks.

Ahh also any suggestions on a different case, I just picked that one up on the basis that it's looks cool and my GPU should fit.

If you are going to use this to do any type of 3D rendering like CAD and 3DS do not get an AMD card unless it's a Firepro or one of their other workstation cards.

If you want to game and work then I suggest a GTX 5xx or 4xx the cuda cores keep the work performance pretty high and there is no comprimise to gaming.

From personal experience, consumer ATI cards seem perfectly capable of CAD work. I run Pro/Engineer on my desktop like nobody's business, at least 4 times as fast as the University machines, and I'm just using a Radeon 4890. I've had no difficulties with any games or engineering apps with this baby, and that includes my current CAD project of a complete gyrocopter design (hundreds of parts, around 40 subassemblies), and Starcraft 2/Civ 5 on maxed settings. Sorry, but I don't have other games to reference it with.

Not saying the GTX is a bad choice, simply saying ATI isn't a bad one either.

I'm by no means saying consumer ATI/AMD cards are incapable of of great performance Cad work. It's just widly accpeted that while AMD cards are great the Nvidia consumer fermis and in some cases Cuda cards in general seem to have an edge.

Honestly OP you should be happy either way I'm just expressing what I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom