Constructing a BEAST !

Status
Not open for further replies.

GShiva

Solid State Member
Well i over-exaggerated when i said "beast" :silly: buuuuuuut...I'm new to building computers and wanted to make a decent computer to game on (Nothing too extreme, and on a decent budget).

I just wanted to know if :

a) everything would run together fine
b) would i need any extra coolers
c) If more than 4GB of RAM was necessary

Thanks for your help in advance, here's my lineup ! :cute:

[CASE] : Suza Advance NeoXblade 8813B - Mid tower - Black
[CPU] : Intel Core i7 950 / 3.06 GHz Processor
[MOTHERBOARD] : ASUS P6X58D-E - Intel X58 - Socket 1366
[GRAPHICS] : MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC - GF GTX 460
[RAM] : Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C​9 2 x 2GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory
[HDD] : Western Digital Caviar Blue 250 Gb 7200 Rpm Sata-ii
[DVD] : LG GH22NS50.AUAA 22x SATA DVDRW Drive
[PSU] : Corsair CMPSU-500CX 500W Power Supply

Thanks in advance !!!!

Welcome to the forum. Its a great bunch on here. I'm going to have a punt at helping you out. I'm new to this too, but i've been doing a fair bit of research.

Lets start with the processor. Why'd you go the i7? The i5 sandy bridge 2500k supports unlocked overclocking and has benchmarked at pretty much the same level as many of the i7 processors (without overclocking). In terms of bang for your buck, this one is big favourite on here. It'll cost less than the one you've got (i would think).

Now, video card. Its ranked 19th... If you went for a 480 instead of a 460, you'd end up with a top 5 video card. If you crossfire in the future, hot ****, that thing would be pretty close to a beast.

Hard Drive... Looks a bit small. For $100 (AUD) you can get a terabyte HDD at the same speed you have posted. If you are gaming on it, you might fill that one up by the time you throw a couple of games on it (which can range up to and over 10gb), a couple of movies. Be worth your while looking at something a little larger.

Well I just presumed the CPU was the best value for money, perhaps I was really wrong. Thanks for the advice though i'll check out that i5 for sure. I'm a big noob when it comes to Overclocking so I'll have to make sure I don't fry my pc if I ever do go for it :sweat:

I'll see if I can fork out abit more cash if it's really worth going for the 480 :) Again im gonna have to research crossfiring to fully understand the extent of the 480 compared to the 460.

Yeh I think i will end up boosting the memory to atleast 500gb if not 1TB. At the same speed i'll see the price increase a little, hopefully not too much...students are not rich :cry:

Thanks for the feedback and advice Tenk ! =] more comments are welcome :cute: !

Heheh, I would have assumed the same too... Until I saw this: Tom's Hardware Compare i7 - i5 I even managed to find your processor, i think...

That site opened my eyes a bit. Have a look around... You'll also note that the hexacore offering (the phenom 1090T) from AMD gets shat on by a large number of intel units :D

Here's a link to the Newegg.com - i5 2500k Sandy Bridge. Newegg is an american site. They don't ship overseas as far as I know :'( .

As I said, the difference between the 480 and 460 is about 14 places... By forking out that little bit extra, you possibly extend the working life of the machine and potentially (if you ever crossfire or whatever nvidia are calling it for their gpu's), can get a serious bit of hardware. Just that little bit closer to your "beast" machine. However, its up to you whether you want to spend the extra coin.

Crossfire is using two video cards in parallel to increase your overall graphics power. Pretty cool. But it sucks juice (comparatively) and throws heat. Google it, there's some interesting stuff out there.

500gb will probably be sufficient, if it ever becomes a problem, you can add in another drive and not worry about it. Or alternatively, use external storage for stuff you don't actually need on your hard drive.

Thanks, those links were really helpful. 1 thing i noticed though. The motherboard has an LGA - 1155 socket whereas the graphics card i selected has a LGA-1366 socket so...I'm not a pro at this but im pretty sure that's a problem.

Relating to Crossfire feature, I'd probably cross fire later on after the computer is built and i can fork out another graphics card and perhaps figured out a good cooling system :sweat:

Yha the 1366 series cpus are being phased out.. Its slightly replaced by the i7 2600k cpu... but the 2600k kills a 950... I have the 950!
Plus your RAM wouldnt work, as its duakl channel. x58 uses triple channel.

I'd stick with a 460.. Great card for the price

Heres a build from overclockers.co.uk

Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - OEM [BX80623I72600K]
Asus P8P67 Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard - (Sandybridge) ** B3 REVISION ** []
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9) [CMX4GX3M2A1600C9]
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache - OEM (WD5002AALX) []
OcUK Value GeForce GTX 460 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card []
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-008-CS

Thats a basic 1155 build... but without a budget, its hard to max value it.

Edeit uif you plan on a sli xfire, you'll need to really up your psu........ getting one with 4 pcie cables is needed.

Thanks a lot Patonb ! I realised the motherboard incompatibility with the x58 and picked the same motherboard you suggested already :)
The build looks really great, only thing i'd ask is if id be overkilling the amount of Watts i need on the PSU (650W) ?

Youre build wasn't bad, just the RAM wouldn't be best.

Yes its a bit high, but its the most affordable option that i'd trust. I really don't cheap out on the psu.. But yes a 500-600 watt is good... BUT #3, the corsair cx 500 isn't good...

It'd also allow for sli/xfire of 2 moderate cards like the 460s... if you used 2 adapters.

Heres some better options from scan, for single gpu use.

Scan.co.uk: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-500D Green 500W Power Supply (PSU)
Scan.co.uk: Seasonic Bronze S12II-520 520W Power Supply (PSU)
Scan.co.uk: Antec High Current Gamer 520W PSU - HCG-520

Thanks for the help and tweaking on my lineup it should look okay now.

Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor

Asus P8P67 Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard - (Sandybridge) ** B3 REVISION **

Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache - OEM

OcUK Value GeForce GTX 460 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

LG GH22NS50.AUAA 22x SATA DVDRW

Antec High Current Gamer 520W PSU

Anything else to tweak before i get started ? :big_smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom