100% CPU Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

sassylittlewitc

Beta member
I'm not a new computer user but am far from an expert. I'm having a couple of problems I can't seem to fix.

First, yesterday my computer (running Windows XP Professional) began running very choppy and slow. I checked and my CPU usage was at 100%. When I looked at the processes I have one process called regvss.exe that running the CPU usage from 34 to 65 to 94 and then back down and it starts all over again. When I click on in and tell it to end process...it comes right back.

I searched for these regvss.exe and found it was located in C:/Windows/Prefect. What should I do now. Can I delete it?

Also, when looking at my desktop I noticed that there was something in my recycle bin. When I opened the bin there is nothing present BUT if I click the empty bin button it asks me if I want to delete the "system file" windows??????????

Help!

Several things... Chech your registy for the key in HKey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentverion\run
see if that is there or if there are suspicious paths there. Also, check your running services, as it's possible you have A. a virus, B. another form of malware that has gotten installed and is doing this to you.
CWShreader might be good to run as well as adaware se and any virus program you have. See what shows up...

Good luck

I did the same thing...googled the file...but its definately regvss.exe. I'm so completely frustrated and LOST without my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom