Starting to Build computers could use some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whelkmaster

Solid State Member
Evening all, Im new on this site and at the moment am studying to become a computer technician (maintainance building etc)

I am about to start building my first system after having taken apart and reassembled a few different computers and seeing how the whole process goes on. I am keen to build a gaming PC that will allow me to play games toward max settings and this is what i have come up with so far

Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Bloomfield) (Socket LGA1366) - Retail

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard

Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Triple Channel

OCZ StealthXStream 2 600W Power Supply [OCZ600SXS2]

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560Ti SUPER OC 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Samsung SpinPoint F4 EcoGreen 2TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM

and thats about it. havent decided on a case yet

wasnt sure if i was allowed to post links to the site im planning to buy from as didnt want slating for advertising :)

will these componants work ok with easch other? im terrified of making some disastorous decision that could break the parts and leave me with a very expensive red face

the plan is basically to put together a high end machine without having to rely on the big companies (had a "gaming machine" from one of the major retailers before and it is less than perfect...very cheap parts etc)

anyway id love to hear some feedback, bear in mind im new to this whole thing when leaving your response, constructive critisism is most welcome

Cheers

Thanks for the reply.

I have looked into SSD drives but they seem to be very small storage wise as opposed to the traditional HDD

on looking at your videos though you can clearly see the difference and I will at the very least now be going for a 7200 HDD rather than the slower one I had chosen initially

SSDs might be a bit of a fad. But they are great if you want your OS to load in less than ten secs or have a favourite game you like to play with no load times... They do wear out though and are about (i think) 100x the cost of a typical hard drive ($0.02/gb as opposed to $2.00 gb)

well i do like the idea of super fast load times for OS/games etc but i cant really justify the extra cost for SSD

as it is a first build im looking to keep the cost relativley low IE not stupidly low and creating a poor machine but not going totally overboard

definatly will be going for the higher RPM hard drive, as it knocks time off loading whilst still being in my budget

the intel i5 2500 CPU looks to be faster than the older intel i7 950 across the board.
prices seem to be similar too, at least here in the states.

just sayin'

the intel i5 2500 CPU looks to be faster than the older intel i7 950 across the board.
prices seem to be similar too, at least here in the states.

just sayin'

Yes, the intel i5 2500 is better than the i7 950 in benchmarks(PassMark - Intel Core i5-2500 @ 3.30GHz - Price performance comparison) I myself though would recommend the i5 2500k as it is $75 cheaper on newegg than the i7 950(the i5 2500 is $90 cheaper) and you can overclock the i5 2500k to 5.2GHzX4 if you wanted to. The i5 2500k also beats the i7 950 at stock(PassMark - Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz - Price performance comparison).

and you can overclock the i5 2500k to 5.2GHzX4 if you wanted to.[/url]).

That is just not TRUE. While a few people, and I mean a few, may be able to reach 5.2GHz it will require extraordinary cooling and a very good knowledge of overclocking. Most people will be in the 4.4GHz to 4.6GHz range.

That is just not TRUE. While a few people, and I mean a few, may be able to reach 5.2GHz it will require extraordinary cooling and a very good knowledge of overclocking. Most people will be in the 4.4GHz to 4.6GHz range.
Yes, your i5 2500k will explode if you overclock to 5.2GHz and as such you will need a very efficient cooling system within your case.(why did I put 'if you wanted to' if I didn't then you wouldn't be able to say its not true.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom