$2000 gaming PC build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm...well, I'm definitely going to get the 2500k now, even though returning to Newegg sucks. Restock fee, blah. I wonder, since it hasn't been opened, if I can return it to somewhere like Fry's or WorstBuy or something? With the power issue, you don't know for sure that I'll need that much power for SLI, or are you pretty sure?

I'm maxing out around 700 watts with a heavy overclock on everything. To be truthful I'm a little dissapointed in the SLI performance with the P67 mobo's that only offer 8X/8X pci-e slots. Right now if your wanting SLI I would build a X58 system, which I just had, but I've figured I would just buy a better motherboard with 16X/16X support later.

700 watts is right at 80% of 850 watts, which is right at the maximum efficiency level. The power supply still has extra power but when you start going over 80% the power supply has to work a lot harder to generate each little increase. It's like buying a car rated to max out at 100 mph, you can go that fast but it's not going to last long.

I would go with the Corsair 850 or the 950 if you wanted some extra headroom for future upgrades.

Thanks, it's much appreciated. I'm going to hold off on SLI until I start to notice a degredation of performance in gaming. You have been most helpful with everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom