Graphics card overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Username123

Solid State Member
Hi everyone.

A while ago, my computer's motherboard failed. I decided that I'd build a new computer using the same memory and hard drive from my old computer. I ordered a new case, power supply, processor, graphics card, etc. and put it together. When I booted up the system, everything was working fine except for these little tiny dots all over my computer screen. When they are on a dark colored background, they appear red. When they're on a light colored background, they appear blue. They flicker sometimes, and when I scroll down really fast they appear all over the place. They're not just randomly all over the screen though, they seem to be in clumps. (Sorry if I didn't explain it very well.) I updated the graphics card's drivers and I tried reseating the graphics card but nothing worked.

I decided to try plugging my monitor into the onboard graphics, and only then did the dots go away. I'm pretty sure this means my graphics card was overheating, as the graphics card needs a minimum of 400 watts and my power supply is 400 watts. After doing a little research, I realized it's usually a good idea to get a power supply at least 100 watts above the recommended amount. Another thing it could be is that I ordered a new graphics card, but they gave me a refurbished one instead. Maybe the card itself was damaged or something.

So yeah, does anyone know what the problem is? Thanks. =)

(Here's a picture of the dots)
reddots.png

What you're seeing is called artifacting. Unfortunately if it's doing it on start up it means your graphics card is pretty well shot.

What's your PSU? You'll need to get a new GPU (graphics card) and a 400w psu can either be fine for most cards or not enough, depends on the PSU itself. Also if you are going to invest in a new GPU it'll be helpful to know the rest of your system specs and a budget.

What you're seeing is called artifacting. Unfortunately if it's doing it on start up it means your graphics card is pretty well shot.

What's your PSU? You'll need to get a new GPU (graphics card) and a 400w psu can either be fine for most cards or not enough, depends on the PSU itself. Also if you are going to invest in a new GPU it'll be helpful to know the rest of your system specs and a budget.
Oh shoot, did I forget to mention the type of graphics card I have? :doh:

It's a Nvidia Geforce 9600gt. I'm not really sure what type of power supply I have, all I know is that it's 400 watts. I can easily get a new graphics card, as they were supposed to give me a new one in the first place. Will I need a new PSU though? If so, can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Yeah, now that I've done some more research I've heard Chiefmax is known for their poor quality PSUs. I'm still wondering if the PSU is even the problem though.

Hi everyone.
I decided to try plugging my monitor into the onboard graphics, and only then did the dots go away. I'm pretty sure this means my graphics card was overheating, as the graphics card needs a minimum of 400 watts and my power supply is 400 watts. After doing a little research, I realized it's usually a good idea to get a power supply at least 100 watts above the recommended amount. Another thing it could be is that I ordered a new graphics card, but they gave me a refurbished one instead. Maybe the card itself was damaged or something.

Listen to what MOM is saying, the man knows what he's talking about.
Ask him about antec or logystic PSU with a user rating of 4.5 or higer and at 500watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom