CPU cooling Options? GPU cooling options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
So... finally want to really crank this beast. I got a bad review on ... FutureMark or something (under 7,000 points, the lowest?!) and I really wanna just tune up my PC.

Without replacing much, cuz well.. an i7 is still pretty beast and not being fully utilized.. and the HD 4890 GPU is ... well ok it fell a lot on the charts.. and I seem to still have some lag issues unexplained on offline games...

But first things first : Eliminating the Stock HeatSink on the CPU.
I don't really plan to OC 'that much' (I hear it's very addictive though.. so maybe I'll become an addict too) but I want COOL CPU with "as quiet as possible"
Although, silence is over-shadowed by my GPU's fan cooler - at 59% speed it's LOUD, although keeping it rather cool, at night, gaming, fan 100% is too loud.

So really the first target coexists with the secondary, the GPU loud stock fan, go figure?
Also the Copper block on the GPU seems to have pits in it, large ones, which scares me a bit (but I am talking to XFX about it) They did include, however, that they no longer carry replacement coolers for my model - so I am up to Third party coolers anyway, or a new card. (which depending on prices/value/performance, may be the better option over all)

I NEED a GPU cooling option - I WANT a CPU cooling option. I want more silence though, even if the cooling is the same.

Currently, Idle, CPU runs 40/42/39/42, GPU is running 44 (all in Degrees C)
CPU fan is on Auto, GPU is manually controlled set at 59% (about as loud as I can take, plus 100% doesn't seem to drop it too much more for idle at least)

CPU and GPU are in signature but also here:
CPU: Intel i7 920
GPU XFX ATI HD 4890 1GB

Also what bogs a Video Card's performance? just CPU? or CPU and RAM speeds? or other? I am lookin into possibly replacing with a 5xxx or 6xxx card (or Nvid = even though I don't really like Nvid from the past, so much extra running)

budget? You can go expensive or cheaper and get good results either way.

Top 5 Intel & AMD Heatsinks on Frostytech
Good list of intel hsf's.

as far as a GPU cooler goes, I can't find a lot of real concrete answers on what's compatible, that doesn't suck, with the card. I'll keep pounding away at research for yah tho and I'll come up with something in a bit.

Budget is open right now, I can put aside money every check to pay for it if needed, but I'd like to get it ASAP so cheaper is better, but quality is best.

Looking for Large, mostly silent fans. These are all I could find on Newegg right off
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185166

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106150

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181011

They have larger fans so the fan noise shouldn't be the 'high pitch' sound I hate so much, more of the whoosh noise, but even so it's just a start - I am not ordering anything yet

with the card have you said to them that basically the GPU is overheating and by changing the cooling it will void your warranty, and if you don't it will overheat and they'll be forced to either give you an upgraded card for free or a full refund of the purchase price?

Most of the GPU coolers for today's cards are pretty much crap and won't do a whole lot if you're doing any long term gaming under intensive load. the Artic Cooler GTX Pro is probably your best bet, but for 80 bucks you're well on your way towards a new card.. which is rediculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom