Is it possible a Heatsink 'divot' formed during use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read multiple reviews stating that the Arctic Silver 5 Compound that I have works within a like.. rediculously close to Tuniq TX-2, like.. within 1C

I think I am going to buy a aftermarket cooler... I mean honestly stock is... stock right? They really suck compared to real Coolers designed for gamer rigs.

Well I am pretty sure it still makes contact, I bent the leg back and put it through the motherboard hole as if nothing were wrong with it - it wasn't broken off, it was just bent and a pain to get straightened (had to use pliers)

The locking pattern still worked and all the 4 knobs you turn still work fine (for release/etc) I just don't like how the stock cooler sits on there when others are talking about force flex and other methods of pressing a cooler onto the chip to give it good contact.

It has to be making good contact or it wouldn't even start up, I had 1 lock not quite in right and I tried to start the PC and it wouldn't even boot, so it has to be in contact enough for the booting to work, it just gets hot during gaming. 50's C for a i7 920 isn't really "danger hot" Idle.

Slaymate knows his stuff, man. A degree could make a big difference.

What Slay posted is an aftermarket cooler, See his post.

no offense but 1C from 98 isn't gonna matter when I am used to seeing the temps under 80 -- something else is the matter, maybe the fans not working right, or maybe theres air bubbles, dunno. Didn't get to take it apart today, gonna have to tomarrow.

I was also thinkin this:
Newegg.com - Scythe Mine 2 (SCMN-2000) 140mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

I don't know where you've come up with 1C? But if you don't want to believe me that's your choice, it's your money and your computer to do with as you please. I won't bother trying to help you any more since your good on your own and others do need my help.

One of the legs (not the one I bent , oddly enough) was not secured tightly enough I think.

Re-applied almost the rest of my thermal paste (I had a small tube as a $2 sample and used it on... I think 13 HeatSinks now, so it was well worth it)
The AC5 I use is:
Arctic Silver 5
High Density Polysenthetic Silver Thermal Compound

And I'd have to do more details but it was a "81 thermal compounds tested" review of 2010 or 2011, so reletively up-to-date. The AC5 was like tied for second with 3 other compounds giving an average temp as scale.

But anyway, Idle at mid 40s tops now, gaming at 60s sometimes low 70s, much better now that it's re-secured.

I won't be removing it again until I get a new heatsink... which I will post in another thread since this one is still off topic with CPU instead of GPU discussion.

AS5 is fine for now, crappy quality paste wouldn't even cause this, I have tried some of the newer pastes on my rig, no difference in temps except for costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom