First Gaming Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnyquest

Solid State Member
Hi, I want to build a computer for hardcore gaming and CS5 and probably OC something that can handle anything I throw at it. I picked some stuff out I'm pretty sure its compatible its my first build so any advice would be appreciated.
LG Blu-Ray,DVD,CD burner
Newegg.com - LG WH10LS30 10X Blu-ray Burner - LightScribe Support - Bulk - Blu-Ray Burners
Case: Haf x 942
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
CPU:Intel i7 980
Amazon.com: Intel Core i7 980X Extreme Edition 3.33GHz 12 MB L3 Cache LGA1366 Desktop Processor BX80613i7980X - Retail: Electronics
CPU Cooler: cooler master v8
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD2001FASS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Memory: G.Skill 3*4GB
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL
MOBO: Rampage III Exteme
Newegg.com - ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
PSU: CORSAIR Pro Series 1200W
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Video Card: EVGA GTX 590 CLASSIFIED
Newegg.com - EVGA GTX 590 CLASSIFIED Limited Edition 3GB 768-bit GDDR5 PCI express 2.0 x16, 3xDual-Link DVI, DisplayPort, HDCP Ready, QUAD SLI Ready, PhysX, 3D Vision Surround Support Video Card
Sound Card:Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series
Newegg.com - Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Internal Card reader
Newegg.com - Rosewill RCR-IM5001 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Card Reader w/ 3 ports USB2.0 Hub / eSATA port / Extra silver face plate / Molex Power
I'm looking to buy this as fast as possible my current computer isn't cutting it for my work.
THANKS

An SSD would boost your performance as opposed to a HDD. I would also suggest as many fans as can fit into the case, along with watercooling. If you overclock everything, you are going to have both a computer and a space heater in one package.

Thanks for the response but when you say SSD did you mean instead of the HDD or make a raid?
I'll definitely look for some fans that I can fit in there and is the V8 ok for OC the CPU? I doubt ill go for the water cooling though, I'll have to OC the CPU and def the GPU they underclocked it like crazy.
Thanks

The Cooler Master V8 is a poor choice. With a standard 4 core i7 the V8 is a medium grade heatsink for overclocking at best, and with it's price tag it shouldn't even be a consideration.

With the 980X, if your wanting to overclock, the best air-cooler would be the Noctua NH-D14. A good alternative would be the Corsair H70, but not the H50.

Both the coolers come out to the same price after shipping and rebate, I like the fact that the Corsair H70 is a water cooler but will it fit in my case?
Thanks

K so my build is the same I only changed the CPU cooler to the Corsair H70, maybe later on I'll add a SSD as a primary I'm going to order the build a little later tonight:grin:
Any last minute suggestions?

I like the fact that the Corsair H70 is a water cooler but will it fit in my case?
Thanks

You have to remove the fan I highlighted in the picture below and the H70 mounts in it's place. You can get the basics of it by looking through this review, http://www.techist.com/forums/f38/corsair-hydro-series-h70-cwch70-238842/.

h70haf942.jpg

Nope:silly:

I like the 980x more although for the price the sandy bridge is a lot better value but my CPU is better overall:grin:. I just placed the order I ordered the 590 GTX classified and the rampage III extreme from fry's.com and CPU from amazon for $900 not too bad as opposed to fry's.com who wanted $1049 for it and the rest from newegg.
Thanks for all your help I cant wait to get this monster up and running.
My wallet feels kinda light:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom